puzzlejunky
Cool Member

can aloe be placed outside before last frost

I have some aloe plants in pots that are turning red. They always seem to do better on the porch in the summers. Our last frost date is May 5th with temps mostly in the mid-40s most nights rights now. I'd love to leave them out there now...there are too many to carry in and out every night. Will they do ok out there? They always seem to do better with God caring for them outdoors rather than me.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Aloe really doesn't like temps below 40 and will get killed if it freezes. If you are just having light frost for a few hours in the coldest part of the night, you can probably get by with just giving it some protection - cover with a cloche or hot cap or put stakes around it and drape a blanket over the stakes.

Watch your ten day weather forecast. That gets you almost out til the end of April now, and should give you an idea of what the trend is.

puzzlejunky
Cool Member

Thanks. I just checked our 10 day and I'm good for as least this week. The mama plants are doing well...but the babies are getting red tips. Thanks again.

applestar
Mod

Make sure to harden them off. I always let my aloes get sunburned because I'm too hasty. You'd think succulents could adapt and take the sun and heat faster than tomatoes.... :roll:

puzzlejunky
Cool Member

Applestar..
I googled sunburned aloe and realized going outside on the sunny porch may be the worst thing for them as they are turning red on the tips.

We built shelves going up our windows..and all the ones on the bottom shelf are turning red. I think they are getting too much sun there.

Instead I've watered them and moved them to a non-sunny part of the house. Hopefully this will save them.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”