pricklycacti
Newly Registered

Sad Succulent in Brooklyn

Hi forum,

My succulent that didn't have a happy winter. The pot sat on a radiator so would go through periods of heat and then cool.

It didn't seem to be getting enough light so I moved it to the other side of the apartment that gets southeast sunlight for the first half of the day.

Now it's turned all purple! And the leaves are shriveling.... :cry:

Instead of watering, I usually give it a hearty water spray 1x a week.

Should I cut the tops and try re-planting?

Help me forum!! It's spring and I want this little guy to make it. :shock:
IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2151.JPG

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Although these plants don't like to stay moist, they do need a drink when thirsty. IDK that these plants can ever look great, but they could get strong enough to propagate and start over. I'd give 'em a drink & put in the brightest possible light. If the stems are firm, they're far from dead, even if they don't look great today.

Once they look a little stronger, you can remove a healthy leaf & start a new plant. It looks like you might have 2 diff but very similar plants in that pot.

The pics here should give you an idea of how the propagation would go.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 38&t=60950

pricklycacti
Newly Registered

Thanks--guess it's time to start over

So you think it was probably under-watering that did it?

You're right, the other one is a bit different with much fuller leaves. It seems to be much happier about being moved.

I have two little props going now in the same pot, so have some hope for a spring renewal.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Yes, I would be hopeful too!

Underwatering & the combo of the wild temp swings sound like a recipe for lots of stress. With improved conditions, these mama plants could yield lots of new material to start new plants. I wouldn't give up on them, if you have space to put everybody near a window.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Pricklycacti - welcome to the forum.

If that were my plant I would re-pot to a shallow container with good drainage and cactus mix instead of regular potting soil. NO pot saucer. Some leaves will fall off. Have another shallow dish ready with cactus mix. Set the fallen leaves on top of the mix.

Bring your container to the sink and water well to get things started. Allow them to drain completely then return them to a very bright window. If you have a balcony or patio put them outside for the summer. The leaves should "plump up" from the infusion of water. Keep an eye on your plant. Water only when the planting mix has dried out completely. Your plants will "talk" to you. When the leaves start to lose their plumpness it is time to water.

Good luck

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”