Fjamanbanan1
Newly Registered

Is my cacti dying...?

Hi, got a small cacti about a year ago, just re-potted him so he would have space to grow. Got home from vaccation, and found that he was all mushy at the base! I poked him, and water came pouring out :? There was probably to much water in the new soil....
Can he be saved?
20150406_160753.jpg

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Fjaman - welcome to the forum.

It depends how mushy it is and what type of cactus it is.

What planting medium did you use? You need a very porous soil. One that drains very easily. Regular potting soil retains way too much moisture. You can get cactus mix at most nurseries and big box garden centers. You can amend potting soil with sand but you need to use Mason's sand or paver base sand. Very coarse sand. Play sand is too fine and will bind with the soil turning it into clay. Been there - done that. :eek: Use 2 or 3 parts sand to 1 part potting soil.

Obviously your pot does not have adequate drainage.

I was in west Texas in October and my friend gave me some Prickly Pear cactus that grows like weeds out there. While harvesting I noticed new plants growing from pieces that had fallen on the ground. I saw pieces that had fallen on concrete putting out new growth. No soil contact at all.

If your entire cactus is not mush try cutting off the mushiest part and just set the part that is still firm on top of your sandy mix - skin side touching the mix not the cut surface. You may also try cutting off the worst of the mush and just set the remainder aside to dry a bit.

Even with a porous mix and a well drained pot I keep cactus and succulents under the patio cover where they get none of our copious rain. They get a sip of water every - HMMM - rarely. :wink: There is so much humidity that little water is needed. The only time I water is if I notice the paddles getting thin. Cacti and succulents will tell you when they need water.

Good luck :)

Sweyn

Fjamanbanan1 wrote:Hi, got a small cacti about a year ago, just re-potted him so he would have space to grow. Got home from vaccation, and found that he was all mushy at the base! I poked him, and water came pouring out :? There was probably to much water in the new soil....
Can he be saved?
20150406_160753.jpg
Can you post a photo with more of the plant and pot in it?

It seems like the problem was too much water. It's best to wait a few days between repotting and the next watering.

Fjamanbanan1
Newly Registered

Thanks for such quick replys! :) I'm really freaking out that my beloved cactus is dying right in front of me :wink:
after further examination, the damaged parts look to rotten/mushy to be saved....
I think I'll try to follow your advice on the soil, and just cut of the damaged parts, and see if it will root again...
Here's a picture of the hole plant and pot.
1428340387635870395991.jpg

Fjamanbanan1
Newly Registered

Just cut him by the base, but I'm wondering if it's far enogh? Sould it be that dark of a color at the senter?
1428341424870-1076157846.jpg

Sweyn

If you cut off every last part that was decaying, making sure not to leave even a tiny bit, that should be enough.

Cacti do better in porous, clay pots like this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowerpot# ... rpot_1.jpg There are more examples here https://www.wmpot.co.uk/store/catalog/fl ... nt_400.jpg and in the first, two photos in the gallery section of the article here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flowerpot You have an interesting pot but, if it is not porous enough, it won't be suitable.

Having a plan for watering, helps a lot.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Difficult to tell from a photo. The center still looks wet.

Set it aside for a couple of weeks - or longer.

Let it start to reduce in size. That is a sign that the Cactus is using reserved water.

At that point take new pictures and post.

Good luck

imafan26
Mod

Make sure she callus' off before repoting. I think your stone pot probably did not have a large drain hole to start with and the soil looks dark. A cactus mix would have more perlite or small stones in it.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”