mikaelagreyy
Newly Registered

help with propagation

I have little experience with propagation but I wanted to try it anyways. ive had these little buds from this leaf for a few months now. from what ive read, if they havent grown much and the leaf hasnt shriveled up by now theyre duds? is this true or do I just need to continue waiting?
picture169.jpg
they have a few roots out but growth has been pretty stagnant lately

catgrass
Green Thumb

Is that an aloe vera leaf? Hard to tell, if so, put a little dirt on top of it. water lightly.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

2015-04-04 001.JPG
How is your tiny plant doing? They can be slow to get going.

mikaelagreyy
Newly Registered

sorry for the late reply! for some reason I didnt get a notification! anyways, they seem to have made very little, if any, progress in almost two months. the main leaf has dried up and withered now but it doesnt seem as iff the little buds have grown any.
picture012.jpg
and to answer catgrass' question, no, its not from an aloe plant. I'm not sure what its from actually but this is where I got it-
picture013.jpg
-it was (and still isnt) looking that great, I think mainly due to an inadequate amount of sunlight even though it gets a very generous amount, so I was hoping I would be able to propogate a leaf and hopefully try again with a new plant. but, there seems to be no progress and a sedum leaf I started just two weeks ago has already grown considerably. I'm wondering if I should just start over? also, if anyone has any info on the mother plant, besides the fact she looks awful lol, that would be greatly appreciated!

imafan26
Mod

The media has all that dead looking stuff in it. It might be a little toxic. The plantlets still look like they are trying to hold on. I might try to gently move them to a smaller pot with fresh media and see what happens. I usually use a less organic mix for my succulents because they rot. I root even the succulents in perlite.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

What is your planting mix?

Your babies have sucked all of the moisture from the mother leaf. You do need to water occasionally. Does you pot have good drainage? Try adding a cup of water weekly. Less often if the soil does not drain.

Good luck

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”