mistersender
Newly Registered

Ridiculously long aloe...help!

The longest aloe
The longest aloe
I got this aloe plant about 2 years ago, and regardless of the fact that I have often neglected to love it enough, it just keeps getting bigger and creating new little baby aloes. My problem is that it is HUGE and I don't know how to keep it under control. It doesnt grow out like it appears most advice I am seeing for aloe is for. It grows up... Like a snake or something. The main stem is probably 2 -3 ft long. Is there some way to keep it from looking like a sad aloe that is all fallen over? It seems to be extremely healthy, just sooo heavy! There really isnt anything to "divide" like I have seen mentioned in other crevices of the internet.... Just the one loooong stem

Also, any idea what kind of aloe it is? Google has been failing me :(

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Try looking at this thread. The owner cut off the top and rooted it. The bottom produced pups, maybe yours will. At least you'll still have pups to keep it going if your top dies. :cry: If you have rooted te top give it indirect, but more sun. South window would do.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 38&t=33190

imafan26
Mod

Aloe do get big. I have to reduce my clump every year. They will sucker an produce new ones from the base. One of the reasons your plant is all stem is because I think it needs more light. Mine is big up to my knees, but I can't really see the stem and the blades are wider out in full sun.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I'm going to guess that it's aloe vera. There are other aloes that look similar to aloe vera, but chances are, yours is aloe vera (it's the most common). I have topped off aloe vera, and planted the tops with success (top sprouted roots), but I must tell you that it is risky. If you don't know what you are doing, you will probably lose the plant. Good luck!

imafan26
Mod

if you lop off the top, keep the bottom it will sucker and produce more for backup. aloe can be started with a leaf blade, but if you lop the top, remove the lower leaves. Let the end callus off first before you replant it or it can rot.

There are about 450 different varieties of aloe. The only way to tell for sure is to wait until they bloom. However, Rose bloom is right, aloe vera is very popular and commonplace so it is probably what it is.

Honeyb
Newly Registered

Hello! I am dealing with the same kind of issue with my aloe. Received this plant from my grandmother who got it from her brother in law. It has been around for at least 30 years. Almost lost it but it came back with a vengeance when I got it and now I have a constant flow of baby aloes I give away. It gets indirect sunlight and am guessing it is trying to get more light...not sure either.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Mistersender - welcome to the forum.

Your Aloe is reaching for light. Give it brighter light by moving it closer to the light source. Give it a 1/4 turn at least twice a week to keep it from being misshapen.

Since your plant is already very out of shape you may want to lop the top and try to root it then harvest the pups for new plants.

Good luck

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I had aloe plants in pots for a while then I moved them to the yard. No matter where they are planted they make babies and they all get larger. The mother plant goes to the compost and the babies take their place.

1 plant turned into about 400 plants in 3 years, a few months ago I put an ad on craigslist and gave all my plants away.

OK so what is the deal with the advertisement at the bottom of this page. Any time they have to give you a sales pitch for several minutes before they actually tell you what they claim they want to say it is all BS. Is anyone seeing a different Monsanto advertisement? Monsanto is Banned in 29 countries why not the USA too?

Sweyn

Rose bloom wrote:Try looking at this thread. The owner cut off the top and rooted it. The bottom produced pups, maybe yours will. At least you'll still have pups to keep it going if your top dies. :cry: If you have rooted te top give it indirect, but more sun. South window would do.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 38&t=33190
Taking the top as a cutting can work. I've done that and seen others do it, with long aloes like that.

Leaves have to be peeled off the bottom part of the stem, so that it can be potted. Cuttings need to have enough of the stem without leaves, left attached, to make them stand up unsupported, in a pot. Roots will grow from the bottom of the stem.

Sweyn

mistersender wrote:
image.jpg
I got this aloe plant about 2 years ago, and regardless of the fact that I have often neglected to love it enough, it just keeps getting bigger and creating new little baby aloes. My problem is that it is HUGE and I don't know how to keep it under control. It doesnt grow out like it appears most advice I am seeing for aloe is for. It grows up... Like a snake or something. The main stem is probably 2 -3 ft long. Is there some way to keep it from looking like a sad aloe that is all fallen over? It seems to be extremely healthy, just sooo heavy! There really isnt anything to "divide" like I have seen mentioned in other crevices of the internet.... Just the one loooong stem

Also, any idea what kind of aloe it is? Google has been failing me :(
Can it stand up, unsupported?

Mr green
Green Thumb

If taking leafcuttings I would advice you to let the leaf sit in shady spot drying untill the end is completely dry, then stick it into moist soil.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”