Rilakkuma
Newly Registered

Identification help? (4 plants) Advice?

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me identify some succulent plants that I bought. I try to keep a nice catalog of all the Latin names but I have 4 plants that I just can't pin down. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also any advice on how to fix what is going south with them would help greatly!

I bought PLANT 1 in Morro Bay, CA. It was absolutely lovely and healthy but it quickly turned the corner after sunburning and stretching. It has seen better days. Any tips on how to save it?
photo 1 EDIT.jpg
photo 4 EDIT.jpg
PLANT 2 and PLANT 3 came from San Diego. PLANT 2 seems to be craving a little more light (some wrinkles on bottom leaves), and PLANT 3 has been experiencing some death on the lower leaves (needs more water?).
photo 2 EDIT.jpg
photo 3 EDIT.jpg
PLANT 4 was bought locally but came from Monterrey Bay (I believe). The label is absolutely wrong and so is the label under it. It has been experiencing some stretch/death on the bottom leaves as well.
photo 2 - edit.jpg
photo 1 - EDIT.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I don't know the species but succulents actually like bright light, so harden it off to a brighter location slowly and it will be happier. Your mix looks like peat and perlite. It is ok as long as you don't over water. Mine are out in the rain so I prefer concrete and terra cotta pots that breathe and I put my succulents in cinder or rocks with fertilizer. It does not pack and the air spaces are large. Less chance of rot. I still need to bring them in when it rains for a long time.

Rilakkuma
Newly Registered

They all receive fairly bright light for most of the day in my windowsill and I'm using Miracle-Gro Cactus, Palm & Citrus Potting Mix in all of my plants (except PLANT 3 which came in hard packed heavy sand/clay). There is no peat moss in my mix.

imafan26
Mod

I think cactus mix still has some peat moss, sand, perlite, and compost, it does contain a higher ratio of perlite and sand to peat to drain well. Succulents don't need to be over potted, they grow relatively slowly so I only need to give them 1/2-1 inch of space in the pot and I use the shallowest pot I can find that fits. Deep pots can still sequester too much water. I try to avoid plastic pots unless I have no choice. Some of my succulents like the barrel cactus and Browne cactus are very old and tall and have fallen over in a concrete and terracotta pots, even more so with the less weighted plastic pots. You will be able to tell if your location isn't bright enough the inter nodes will get longer and the cactus leaf rows will be farther apart.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think plants 1, 2, and 3 are all the same thing. They are either ghost plant (Graptopetalum paraguyense ) or one of its close relatives

https://www.gardenershq.com/images/Ghost-plant-sedum.jpg

Rilakkuma
Newly Registered

The soil I use is quick draining and doesn't have peat in it. It's rich black soil with those nifty little food beads and an occasional small wood chip (which I remove from the mix when I find them) and surprising not very much perlite. I avoid using deep pots to save soil and I'm working on transplanting all of my plants to ceramic/terra cotta pots for aesthetics and to deter my cat from tipping them off the table.

And thank you! I do believe PLANT 3 is a ghost plant but plants 1 and 2 are quite different. PLANT 1 is a rosette form and its leaves (are supposed to) point upwards but are plump. PLANT 2 is more elongated and less 'heavy', its leaves aren't as full figured or thick.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”