hjayne
Newly Registered

Unknown plant, not doing so well

Hi! I'm having trouble with one of my succulent plants and I figured I'd ask around to see if anyone has any advice.

I got this plant almost two months ago as a gift. It was purchased at a small garden store and didn't come with any sort of identification. I really like it for its size and geometric looking leaves -- it looks a lot different than my other plants.

It seemed to be growing pretty well for a while. I live in New England and I keep my plants on my front porch during the summer where they get a good amount of sun. This plant started growing super fast. It even shot up some baby plants (theres three babies along with the main plant now). Sadly, though, it's bottom leaves have begun to die pretty quickly. They start at the tip and gradually turn brown and shriveled until they fall off completely. Even some of the bottom leaves on the baby plants have been doing it.

The weird thing is the main plant and baby plants are still growing really well. The top leaves look very strong and healthy and the stems seem to be doing well. The pictures I have of it are from about a week ago and the plant is even bigger now. But the way the bottom leaves are dying off so much, and so quickly, its really got me worried. Again, even more have fallen off in the short time since the pictures were taken.

I've been trying to identify it for a bit now and I've had no luck. I really would like to be able to know exactly what type of succulent it is so I can see how it should be growing. It's never grown in a classic rosette shape, not even the baby plants. I'm afraid to try to propagate it (which seems to be the general advice for tall, stemmy succulents) because I don't know what it is. And to be honest, I like the height of it -- I feel like it is supposed to grow tall, too, since the baby plants are growing in the same way.

I've been letting the soil dry completely between waterings and recently I've been moving it around my porch to try and give it as much light as possible (though it has been getting good sunlight for at least four or five hours on most days since I got it).

But yeah. Sorry this got so long! I'd really appreciate any help I can get!
rsz_img_4764.jpg
rsz_img_4770.jpg
rsz_img_4771.jpg

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Hmm, I know that plant but I forgot it's name. Argh! -wall- -wall-

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

My neighbor has one exactly like that, just he only speaks Chinese and I'm not sure I could translate or if he even knows what it is. And I do think it should be tall, because his is about as tall as yours. It's growing under some viney flower plants, so it's sorta shady. :lol:

hjayne
Newly Registered

Hmmm okay, thank you! Its good to know that mine isn't growing completely out of the norm!

Wombat

Hi, I'm no expert by any means, but it looks a bit like a plant I had a few years ago......Echeveria pulvinata? Just a guess....

hjayne
Newly Registered

hmm maybe. though mine has rubbery leaves not fuzzy leaves. though maybe echeveria pulvinata doesnt need fuzzy leaves, though thats what seems to be coming up on google

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”