Decado
Green Thumb

Good Soil Mix For Jade

So I need to up pot a small jade plant that's doing very well and I don't want to mess it up like I did my 2 other jades (which only have leaves on the top 3-4" of the plant.) What exactly should I be doing for the soil mix? For the others I just mixed potting soil with sand but that didn't work, so what should I do for this one to keep it healthy?

baileysup
Green Thumb

I heard that sand wasn't so good to use unless it's coarse "sharp sand". I don't use sand. My jade only has a few leaves on it as well, and it's in good soil. I think temperature and light have more to do with how many leaves it has. Mine gets cold in the winter, and does not receive as much sun as it should, so therefore it loses a lot of leaves. See if you can get some Cacti & Succulent soil, and that should be good. Also, you can mix in some Pumice / Crushed Granite, or Perlite (which ever you can find) for extra drainage. I usually start with a 50/50 mix for my succulents. That's 50% Cacti & Succulent mix, and 50% "grit" for drainage. This mix still seems to hold plenty of moisture for my climate, yet will drain and dry out faster than straight Cacti & Succulent mix. I think as long as your soil is well draining, you should be fine. Jades like to dry out in between waterings.

Decado
Green Thumb

I guess the thing I find weird is that in my big jade the leaves are thin but in my little one it still has the very first leaves it grew (about 10" tall now.)

baileysup
Green Thumb

Decado wrote:I guess the thing I find weird is that in my big jade the leaves are thin but in my little one it still has the very first leaves it grew (about 10" tall now.)
Were both jade sin the same soil? If so, the big jade is getting used to the growing conditions.

Decado
Green Thumb

The big jade was in the mix I mentioned. The little one is just in regular potting soil, started from a leaf.

catgrass
Green Thumb

I have a fairly old, medium size (10") pot of jade. Last year it bloomed. My mix is just a fast draining potting mix, water sparingly , medium to bright light. Fertilize in early spring, and sporadically after that. It has withstood temps in the upper 30's . I mostly just leave it alone.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”