punxscum
Newly Registered

Moon Cactus-- New baby.

So, I got my first cactus. And after I bought it, I realized that I really didn't know how to do things like pot it and where to put it. Well, he is doing okay I'm pretty sure? but I've seen a lot of Moon Cacti around the internet and everyone's tops always look one, solid, bright color.
So, I don't know what's the appropriate time to re-pot him, since the soil is questionable (I got him from a non-reputable place).
And, is this an okay cactus to keep in my window sill? it faces outside/south-ish where theres sunlight during the day but it doesn't get that hot in my room.
I'm afraid that it could be washing out the color? someone said that if moon cacti get too much sun exposure, that the color will wash out.

I know which type of soil to get, and I don't know if I will buy fertilizer. I have some pots that I hope aren't too big for my cactus.

Sweyn

I've seen that kind labelled as Ruby Ball Cactus. You can learn more about it, here https://home.howstuffworks.com/ruby-ball-cactus.htm

Colour isn't the main concern with Cacti. You need to make sure that you have the basic requirements right.

Cacti in general, can be kept on a windowsill. The best direction for them to receive sunlight is south. The next best direction is west.

You don't have to repot now. Spring is the best time to do it but, you can do it at other times throughout summer. I don't do it in autumn or winter. When you repot, you should use a pot that is either the same size or, only a little bigger than the current one. You don't need one that is a lot bigger. It is best to use an unglazed, clay pot because that lets water drain properly and prevents the soil staying damp. Damp soil causes rotting and is a quick way to kill a Cactus.

I noticed that you have the pot in a glass. That's helpful because it will collect water that runs out the bottom of the pot, when you water your plant. When that happens, you can lift the pot out, throw away the water and put the pot back in. Leaving the pot to stay in water that has already run out the bottom of it, will cause damp soil, something to be avoided.

Please update this thread to show your plant gets on, in the coming months. It's an attractive one.

Sweyn

It seems that this type can only live for a few years, unless the coloured part is grafted onto another, green cactus. Some information about them, at these links https://homeguides.sfgate.com/red-top-ca ... 31849.html and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnocalycium_mihanovichii

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What you have is a graft. Growers make those just to sell, the bottom half is a different type cactus than the top half. Top half may not be cactus. Growers try to find 2 plants that are not related the bottom plant keeps the top plant alive but the top plants lacks something that makes it grow strange. A lot of people like the bright colors that is what makes them sell. It is sorta like grafting a tomato to a water melon. If the red part on top every starts to rot and die cut it off and the real cactus on bottom will live.

Sweyn

Gary350 wrote:What you have is a graft. Growers make those just to sell, the bottom half is a different type cactus than the top half. Top half may not be cactus.
It is a cactus, as well. It's a kind of Gymnocalycium.
Gary350 wrote:Growers try to find 2 plants that are not related the bottom plant keeps the top plant alive but the top plants lacks something that makes it grow strange.
That's chlorophyll, the stuff that makes plants green.
Gary350 wrote:A lot of people like the bright colors that is what makes them sell. It is sorta like grafting a tomato to a water melon. If the red part on top every starts to rot and die cut it off and the real cactus on bottom will live.
It will separate after a few years. The only way to keep it going after that, is to graft it once more.

If you read the links that I posted, you can learn a lot more.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”