JaroslavaMala
Newly Registered

Please help to identify my succulent.

I grew this plant from seeds (misplaced the label); it is very hardy, likes hot weather and blooms only when very hot. The blossom last only one day, closes down and doesn't open again. Origin of this succulent plant might be South Africa.
Thank you in advance!!!
Attachments
IMG_1479 - Copy.JPG

JaroslavaMala
Newly Registered

Between my post on Saturday and now I did identify this succulent:
It is Anacampseros retusa , Portulacaceae. It's origin is indeed South Africa. On https://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/su ... lb-sub.asp you can get everything you want to know about Anacampseros plants.
Hope this will be helpful to some.
Jaroslava.
Last edited by JaroslavaMala on Mon May 05, 2014 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaroslavaMala
Newly Registered

Between my post on Saturday and now I did identify this succulent:
It is Anacampseros retusa , Portulacaceae. It's origin is indeed South Africa. On https://www.bihrmann.com/caudiciforms/su ... lb-sub.asp you can get everything you want to know about Anacampseros plants.
Hope this will be helpful to some.
Jaroslava.

RosemarieRo

Close! I believe it is Anacampseros rufescens.

JaroslavaMala
Newly Registered

Thank you!
However, my Anacampseros does'n have the pink shades of A. rufescens; I have many plants and they are all the same as on the photo; are exposed to sun, too. I also found this exactly same looking plant at Armstrong Garden Center and their name tag was A. retusa. I think the flowers of A. rufescens are lighter pink with narrower petals then those of A. retusa.
Attachments
Blossom detail of the Anacampseros I have.
Blossom detail of the Anacampseros I have.

RosemarieRo

The leaf shape on A. retusa is much different than those seen on your plant. The photo at the link you provided will show you just that.

The flower petals of my A. rufescens (I have many as well) are just as wide as yours (see pic below). I think they fade the longer they are open, so it would just depend when the pic was snapped.

Click for larger view:

As far as tags from nurseries, I think most know you cannot count on them always being correct.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”