Jessieanne
Newly Registered

Please help, what should I do for this succulent.

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a house and inherited the below plant. It was living under a hedge with very little light and I am wondering if someone could give me some advice on how to help it.

I am very (very very very) new to succulent propagation and don't want to just chop the top off and kill it.

If anyone could let me know what I should do I would very much appreciate it.

Attachments
photo (3).JPG

baileysup
Green Thumb

The plant looks to be healthy. If you're uncomfortable chopping it, that's okay. Chopping isn't 100% guaranteed that you wont kill the plant. It's also hard on the plant to develop a new root system. My suggestion is to take a good/healthy bottom leaf off of each, and stick them in soil. They will grow new plants, but keep in mind that this process is not instant, and can take a couple years to get a good plant out of it. If you do three leaves, it will improve your chances in case one does not make it, but you can do as many as you want. The plant looks healthy though, and you could just leave it as is. Propagating is fun and rewarding though. Especially if you've never tried it before. I would leave the plant as is, and just propagate some leaves off of it.

Jessieanne
Newly Registered

Thanks so much for your reply, I will do exactly that. I have a few of leaves on the go from small plants I bought and I am pretty hit or miss with growing baby plants so this way at least I can keep trying.

Thanks again!

baileysup
Green Thumb

Ok, here's another tip for you: If the leaves keep dying before growing out roots, keep the soil more dry. Roots grow better in drier soil. Just push them down into the soil, and lightly tug on them after a couple weeks, to see if they are making roots. Have fun :)

newfangl3d

It's a lovely plant! :)

Here's another tip for propigating: after removing the leaves, let them dry out for a day or two so that the raw edges callus before putting them in soil. If you cut the leaves off and stick them straight in the soil they can sometimes absorb too much water and rot.

Good luck and please keep us updated! :)

KittieKAT

You can also try rooting powder available at any garden store like home depot, just follow directions for cuttings and you'll get roots inn no time, remember to light mist the soil NOT the leaves itself or they will rot. Also make sure they are healthy leaves you are trying to prop with or it might NOT work, in no time you'll see this below!
Attachments
1403981747167.jpg
1403981626766.jpg

aloe88
Newly Registered

Hey,
It's called Echeveria, they love full sun and can take dry conditions. Very hardy, just break off how ever many leaves you want and lay them flat on newspaper or sandy soil in a dry,shady place, after awhile the end of each leaf will put out tiny roots (and small leaves) then you can plant them. They also grow from cuttings, again keep dry and in shade but plant in a sandy soil and they will put down roots.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

image.jpg
image.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
Aloe88, I think the OP meant THIS plant. :arrow:

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”