artificialginger
Newly Registered

my cotyledon needs help soon, I think?!

So I got my succulent close to a year ago and I've been taking care of it, at least I like to think so. now I think its dying and I don't know why, I don't water it too much and it sits right next to a window allllllll the time so I don't think that's the problem because all the others around it are thriving. I think in the winter it began to get white stuff on its leaves and I didn't pay much attention. Then it slowly got worse and so I finally tried to look it up but no one has an answer for it on the interweb. so I tried to let it go but as I've said before the succulent is really deteriorating and its really worrying me because before it was doing soooooo well. I mean it was freak in gorgeous! Anyways I just need some one to tell me how to fix this ill do anything for my little plant child. seriously so don't leave any suggestions out. Please and thanks. Also I will try to include pictures of the white in hopes you can help.I hope you can see the white goop on it. It's like sticky and I cant get it off. Plus it had a few little blooms not to long ago.
Attachments
PhotoGrid_1397943028664.jpg

baileysup
Green Thumb

It looks like you have yourself a little infestation problem there. Is the white moving at all? I've heard insecticidal soap works pretty good.

artificialginger
Newly Registered

If you mean move like its alive and has feet no its like.... umm, it looks a little like cottage cheese and its sticky and gooey. but if you mean spreading they yes, slowly. Also do you have any idea where I would get the insect soap and how I would use it? Please and thankyou

baileysup
Green Thumb

Not sure where to get it, sorry. Wait to see if someone here can identify the pest, as I have no idea what it is. That will help with treatment. Oh, and neem oil is another pest squasher that some use. I'm guessing it could be aphids or spider mites, but that's guessing. They are very small, and it's difficult to actually see them moving. I apologize for not being of any help.

artificialginger
Newly Registered

No its OK thank you soo much for the help at least I have an idea now and I can prevent it from spreading to the others. Thanks again.

artificialginger
Newly Registered

OK just one update, you did help me a lot. Because I ended up doing a little more research and what it turns out to be is a mealy bug infestation and quite serious so I sprayed it down with equal parts soap and water then cleaned off all the gunk and I for sure found two bugs. I have seperated it from my others and will spray the others down tomorrow lightly, to be safe. Hopefully it works and just in case it doesn't then ill go to the local garden store tomorrow to get some advice. once again thanks for the help. You helped a lot more than I'm sure you think you did, now I can sleep soundly.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Ah, mealy bugs. Forgot about them. That's great you were able to identify the pest. When using the diluted soap mixture, I think It's good to keep applying it as needed. Most of the time, one application is not enough, yet persistence can lead to complete annihilation of the pest. It looks like you just saved your plant :D.

applestar
Mod

If it is mealy bugs, I usually use cotton swabs (buds) dipped in rubbing alcohol (mentholated spirits). This gets past their waxy coating. They should come up rusty red.

Be sure to rinse off any soap spray residue and moisten the alcohol dehydrated area with water after treatment.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, be REALLY sure to rinse the plant and soil a lot. Equal parts soap and water is a whole lot of soap. They usually say 1 teaspoon of real soap in a quart of water. And incidentally did you use real soap? Dishwashing liquid for example is not soap, but detergent. Detergent can be harmful to your plants, making it even more important to get well rinsed.

artificialginger
Newly Registered

OK so I did use actual dawn dish soap (liquid stuff). And I put a little more water in because I thought I read to put equal parts of both in a spray bottle somewhere. But don't worry I was cautious and used my head and washed the soap water off of the plant just incase , I had a feeling it wasn't supposed to stay there. I'm just afraid I will over water the succulent now. I mean yes it is summer and I move it outside everyday to get real sun and heat but I'm afraid that won't be enough to dry the soil everyday.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”