sja1021
Newly Registered

Aloe help!

So I got my aloe back in September... It did fine through the winter but then we had a warm day and I decided to put it outside so it could get some better light. I got distracted running errands and it ended up spending the whole day outside getting full sun.
Since then the base of the leaves has turned yellow and a few of them have started drooping :(
Any suggestions for what I can do to help it get better?

baileysup
Green Thumb

There are types of aloe that enjoy direct sun, but aloe vera is not one of them, unless it's been properly acclimated (even then you have to be careful). I don't put my aloe vera out in direct sun, because of this. When I first got my aloe vera, I did put it out in the bright full sun, thinking it would love it. That was not the case, and it suffered sunburn, plus losing leaves. They seem to like indirect light best. I enjoy putting my plants outside when the weather is nice, but have learned to keep the aloe vera inside. A good sunny window seems to be perfect for them. The damage suffered is probably irreversible, so just keep it out of direct sun, and let it recover.

JB Goode

baileysup wrote:There are types of aloe that enjoy direct sun, but aloe vera is not one of them, unless it's been properly acclimated (even then you have to be careful). I don't put my aloe vera out in direct sun, because of this. When I first got my aloe vera, I did put it out in the bright full sun, thinking it would love it. That was not the case, and it suffered sunburn, plus losing leaves. They seem to like indirect light best. I enjoy putting my plants outside when the weather is nice, but have learned to keep the aloe vera inside. A good sunny window seems to be perfect for them. The damage suffered is probably irreversible, so just keep it out of direct sun, and let it recover.

I totally agree and I also had to learn the hard way. I lost a few different types of aloe because I too thought the *direct sun* would benefit my aloes.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”