Cactushands
Newly Registered

Species confirmation

Hello all. I adopted a columnar cactus from a friend not long ago and would like some help confirming the species. I believe it to be a Saguaro (Carnegiea gigantea), though my judgement is novice at best. The height is about one foot.

Link: https://imgur.com/5qQgrsN

Thanks in advance.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Saguaro indeed! Congratulations, she a beauty! I wish mine was that big........lol. No seriously

Cactushands
Newly Registered

Awesome! Hopefully she takes to her new home in my covered west-facing florida patio. There is some slight red/ yellow discoloration between her spine clusters (areoles) that concerned me as well as some wrinkling along her ribs. She was removed from my friend's yard by severing her tap root and destroying much of her peripheral roots. She's been in that pot for about 4 months though and seems to be sticking through it.

When I planted, I hit the soil with some root growth hormone. I've been watering it moderately as I read before it is established after transplant, it needs more water than usual. This seems to have worked as when I first put her in the new pot, she had purple discoloration which has subsided. Her skin still gives when prodded lightly with a stick, even after watering, which leads me to believe she is still establishing her new root system.

Any input from you guys given this information? Specifically the discoloration a wrinkling present now.

Thanks again.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I'm assuming that you live out west somewhere, and based on that, your watering requirements will be different than mine. I keep my saguaro in Pennsylvania, and found out rather quickly that I could not water it like my other cacti. I think the fact that I had just planted it last year may have had something to do with that, as my saguaro had to establish a new root system as well. I never gave it that much water to begin with, but I noticed that mine got just a little bit wrinkly at the bottom shortly after watering it one time (almost like a raisin). That scared me a bit, and I've since cut back on the amount I give it, with good results. Believe me that saguaro can handle drought conditions. Depending on what kind of plant it is, it can also be somewhat "hard" on a plant to develop a new root system. Now, your climate, soil, and root system are what's going to determine you watering regimen. Basically, I let my saguaro stay bone dry for long periods of time. I don't water it as soon as it dries out (except for maybe a few weeks in mid-summer). I have a feeling that when my saguaro develops a better root system, I will be able to water it a bit more in the summer (possibly). It receives ZERO water during winter months. I'm not trying to confuse you here, but how I water my saguaro will most definitely be different than how you water yours, because of the difference in our climates. Just trying to give you ideas. I have to be VERY careful with mine, here in Pennsylvania. Also, I wouldn't worry about that yellow/red coloration between the areola, as that just looks like normal coloration from hot sun. I would just try not to over water it (I use chopstick method for mine). They are slow growers, so give her time to grow her new roots, and be happy. Hope this helps you, and congrats again. It's a fine saguaro ;). Good luck, and have good day.

Cactushands
Newly Registered

I appreciate the input and discussion.

I am located in zone 9a in Florida. We do have short winters here and it does dips below freezing. Summers are long, hot and humid with fairly frequent storms bringing a lot of rain. I figure if I leave her under a sheltered patio facing west, I can control it's water uptake and sun exposure. The patio cover mimicks the protection of a "nurse tree" you might say.

baileysup
Green Thumb

That sounds like a great plan. Sorry for assuming you lived out west, but as you may know, that is saguaros native habitat. Your saguaro is going to love the winters down there. My plants HATE the winters we have here. It's hard on them. The fact that you will be able to control the light and water it receives, is key. Especially the water.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”