Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What is the name of this cactus

It grows about 6 feet tall and about 2" to 2.5" diameter. When it gets too tall if falls over. It grows new plants from the ground up. If you cut the cactus off it will grow 1 maybe 2 new cactus from the place that was cut. It can take a lot more water than most cactus and a little fertilizer it will grow very fast. I have forgotten what color the flowers are.

I recall the name started with letter T and it is a very long word.

imafan26
Mod

I have a cactus that looks like that and it does pretty much the same thing. It is a type of saguaro cactus. Mine had a tag that said Browne Cactus. It grows very slowly and has yellow flowers.

Sweyn

I don't know the name of it but, it's very impressive.

I would like to know the name of, other cacti that look just like that, but, are a lot smaller. Small enough to grow in small pots on windows and, they have a slightly more pointy tip. Does anyone know what those are called?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Sweyn wrote:I don't know the name of it but, it's very impressive.

I would like to know the name of, other cacti that look just like that, but, are a lot smaller. Small enough to grow in small pots on windows and, they have a slightly more pointy tip. Does anyone know what those are called?
Are you interested in these?

Sweyn

Gary350 wrote:
Are you interested in these?
Not really. I am unfamiliar with all but the second one. Are the last two photos of cuttings?

I want to find out the name of a cactus that looks a lot like yours in your photo but, is considerably smaller. I saw one in someone's home, but, they did not have a name tag for it. It was about the size and thickness of a banana. I thought about getting one for myself so, that's why I'd like to find out.

imafan26
Mod

I have the second and last one in your picture

I don't know their names.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:I have the second and last one in your picture

I don't know their names.
The first one is moroccan mound cactus.

2nd one is Silver Torch.

3rd one Chain fruit Cholla

4th is Silver Cholla

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I had the name of this cactus written down, I miss placed it but now it is found. I can not spell it or pronounce it without making notes. Trichocereus Spachiana with white flowers. It grows fast. During the summer when temperature is above 100 degrees it grows very slow but then the hot weather is gone it grows 3" a month. It does good with a good drink of water once a week. You can give it a little water every day too. Some cactus will get root rot and die with too much water but this cactus is not extremely sensitive to too much water. Give it 12-6-6 fertilizer and water it will grow 3 feet taller in no time at all. I have this planted on the east wall on the house it gets full morning sun the cool part of the day and full shade after lunch. I planted about 50 cuttings and about 10 of them died now I have about 40 plants.

Sweyn

Gary350, you're right. All of the plants in this thread are different kinds of Trichocereus. If you look at this link https://www.columnar-cacti.org/trichocereus/ , you might be able to identify them.

The home page https://www.columnar-cacti.org/index.html has a lot of useful information.

KittieKAT

Sweyn wrote:I don't know the name of it but, it's very impressive.

U could try a Cleistocactus Winteri same look just skinny, or a golden ball cactus....which isn't a ball at ALL (!?!?!) Lol

Here's my winteri
Attachments
1403302057331.jpg

RosemarieRo

Looks like Trichocereus spachianus to me. :P

Sweyn

KittieKAT wrote: U could try a Cleistocactus Winteri same look just skinny, or a golden ball cactus....which isn't a ball at ALL (!?!?!) Lol

Here's my winteri
I just looked them up on line. They're nice but, not really what I'm looking for. I need to identify a columnar type with rows of spines that are much further apart. The spines were also darker.

Thanks for your suggestion. :D

I like what you've done with your pots. I'll have to try the gravel, as well.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”