baileysup
Green Thumb

Is this from over water, or sunburn?

This is my other Sansevieria (variegated) that I'm about to repot, and this will be two separate questions. I want to know if these white patches of dead leaf are from over watering, or sunburn. My guess is that it's from over watering, but I'm not sure. It's hard to adjust my growing methods without knowing what the cause of the damage is. Is this the famous "edema" I've heard so much about lately? Question number 2 is how long should I wait to pot this sansevieria, because I had to chop one of the large rhizomes due to rot. I don't think I can get this plant to stand on it's own without watering it in when I plant it. I was thinking to wait about a week to plant it, and just cover the roots with a towel or something till then, but I don't know if it will dry out too much doing this. It's funny, because as hard as these plants are to kill, I have difficulty growing them well. I think that can be attributed to the pots, and the soil they were previously in ;). I've included two pics of each scenario for your consideration. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

looks more like sunburn. They don't really prefer sun, though maybe can tolerate it, if well adapted.

But they also do not like too much water. If they are in regular potting soil (as opposed to cactus mix), they can easily go a couple weeks without water.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Thanks rainbowgardener. I'll keep them out of direct sun from now on. Any word on how long I should wait to pot and water it? I guess if I see things start to shrivel, then I'll just go for it, but otherwise I think I'll wait a few days at least.

baileysup
Green Thumb

OOPS! So much for waiting. Oh well. If that one rots, so be it. There are two others in the pot ;). The root cut looked pretty dry though.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”