baileysup
Green Thumb

Snake Plant Concerns

I put this Sansevieria out on the porch to water it, and forgot it out there overnight. It froze really well, and half the leaves of the plant turned soft. I'm surprised the whole plant didn't perish, because the temp was in the teens that night (very cold). This is proof of how tough Sansevieria is. Anyway, so I cut off the soft parts today, and don't know if I should plant it as is? Or take the stumps completely off. I always thought the more roots the better, but I'm not sure if anything will sprout from where it was chopped. So, should I plant as is, or take the nubs off? Here's a pic to help better explain: Thanks

applestar
Mod

Re: Snake Plant Concerns

Not that I know anything about it, but since these plants grow new leaves from the center of the rosette, I think it would be better to keep the stubby side shoots intact and attached.

The least affected/most vigorous part of the rhizomes should resume root growth first, and any or all of the three crowns could benefit.

If the center of the crown wasn't affected, they should grow new leaves once stabilized.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Cool. I'm pretty sure the center was not harmed, because you could feel the difference in the leaves. The bad leaves got darker and soft, while the good leaves remained bright and hard. I was thinking of planting it as is, and just seeing what happens. I still can't believe how any part of the plant survived a night in the teens with wet soil. :oops: Thanks for the suggestion applestar.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Well, here she is. It was a tricky repot ( three separate plants), but was successful. I used 25% cactus mix, 25% coconut coir, and 50% perlite. The looks have something to be desired, but keep in mind that at least half of the plant was lost due to frost damage. Now I just have to wait and see if anything comes of it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

they are pretty tough plants and what you have left looks healthy. I'm thinking it will be fine.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I have had a snake plant on the corner of my desk in low light and I read that they grow best in bright light, I was wondering if there would be any adverse effects if I put it in the picture window with the two moonvines and morning glory and calla lily? I have had it there for several years, but if giving it bright light will make it grow I want that.
100_4953.JPG

applestar
Mod

I have heard that in bright light, snake plant will bloom.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

imafan26
Mod

It's other name is mother in law's tongue. It is a pretty tough plant.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”