Suntanned
Newly Registered

Calanchoe dying?

What can be done in order to help this plant?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (22.34 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

applestar
Mod

It looks to me like the the plant is in a heavy black mix -- kalanchoe should be in a well draining mix containing 1/3 sand/gravel.

Also and more importantly, it looks to me like the plant is in a plastic pot that is slipped inside a decorative container which probably doesn't have holes -- is that correct? If this is the case, it's very easy to overwater, with excess water filling the cover pot, and the plant left soaking in it... Resulting in root rot.

So, assuming the above, the first step is to take the interior plastic pot out of the outer container and set it in/on a shallow catch tray -- a plastic Chinese food takeout container, a sandwich/salad clamshell container, a teacup saucer, etc. If the plant is at all salvageable, then the soil needs to be allowed to dry until you don't feel any moisture at all when you touch the surface of the soil. It is sensitive to cold so a windowsill is likely to be too cold if you it's winter where you live, but it needs bright light. The plant could be placed a little way inside a south to southwest facing window. If you don't have a south-facing window, you may need to give it supplemental light. (During the winter, it's important not to draw the drapes over the plant, trapping it between the drapes and the cold window.)

If all of the stems are blackened and soft, then the plant may be too far gone, but if the plant perks up with the improved watering regimen treatment, then it may be saved, so next step would be to repot it in a good succulent/cactus mix or good potting mix that has been mixed with sand.

imafan26
Mod

I know Kalanchoe's are succulents and they do not like a lot of water, but I admit I still manage to kill them every time.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have a nice one that was thriving under my regimen of watering my house plants no oftener than every other week. It is suffering a bit now, because the Christmas tree usurped its spot and it isn't getting enough light where it is. Hopefully it will last without too much damage until the Christmas tree goes away again.

So bright light, free draining mix, and very little water.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Is that lower branch on the right green all the way down? If so, the plant may have a chance. If not, and all the branches are brown, I must say that it doesn't look good. I have seen plants recover from states thought of to be non-recoverable though. Get the watering down, and cross your fingers. If it is dead, just learn from it, so the next one will be better :D

Suntanned
Newly Registered

I will stop watering it like at all? It was doing well for couple months, then I read that it needs less water, stopped watering it and it wilted. Maybe it was just bad timing though, because the plant was slowly dying anyways.
The roots are strong to the touch, I did not see any rot or anything suspicious. The soil was quite wet though, when I was unpotting it(however the top part of soil was dry).
My poor plant. I hope it has a chance.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (32.83 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.15 KiB) Viewed 1451 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 1451 times

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The roots look pretty OK from what I can tell, but the plant looks very bad. If you want to try giving it another chance, you can, but I don't think the odds are in your favor. Next time, write in a little sooner! :)

baileysup
Green Thumb

I'm not seeing any signs of new growth. It looks like it's a gonner. Sorry for your loss, and better luck next time.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”