Rose bloom
Green Thumb

How to Remove Bromeliad Pups?

Does anyone know how to remove bromeliad pups?

imafan26
Mod

I just cut them off close to the main stem. If I want to keep the pups together as when I am thinning a patch, instead of cutting the pups, I cut out the mother plant since it will never bloom again.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Thanks.

applestar
Mod

*usually* you want to let the surface of the cut dry and "callus" before planting them to propagate.

I'm not a bromeliad connoisseur so this might be wrong, but the ones I've had in the past, I buried the mother plant or portions of the mother plant attached to the pups in the bottom of the pot when I repotted the pups. I suppose in their native region, you may or may not want to do this if there is concern about pests or diseases.

imafan26
Mod

It is a good idea if you are planning to pot up bromeliads in dirt to let the cut end dry or dust the end with sulfur first.

I actually do not pot my bromeliads. I just have some of them in my shady side yard under ti plants. They are just placed together with the cups up. They are not planted. They use their roots for support, but most of their nutrients and water are collected in the cups. I have another patch in my front yard that is not as happy since I cut down the tree, they get more bleached and beat up by the wind, but they survive. I have a couple of pineapple that were initially planted in 6 inch pots but mostly they are lying on their side and the pineapple leaves collect most of the water. I also fertilize in the cups as well. I do have a guzmania in a pot, but I got it that way and I still water that in the cups.

People do plant them so it is fine to do that just be careful not to bury the crown or you can get crown rot. Try to find a media that drains and dries well. Spagnum peat moss, orchid bark or even cinders might work better.
Last edited by imafan26 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Thanks again!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”