baileysup
Green Thumb

White stuff on clay pot.

Is this salt build up, and would it be OK, to just clean the pots instead of replace them? I guess It could leach back into the soil when watered, and is probably not good for the plant. What are some opinions about this? The pots are so cheap, that they could easily be replaced, but I was wondering what opinions were about just cleaning them. Here's a pic, Thanks:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Re: White stuff on clay pot.

Yeah, just salts and minerals from your water that get deposited when the water evaporates. Yes cleaning them with a vinegar solution is fine. Just dilute the vinegar with water by at least half, soak the pots, and then scrub them a bit. Soak it in plain water and then rinse well and you should be good to go.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

baileysup
Green Thumb

Cool, thanks Rainbow.

Sweyn

I have also had that on pots. As rainbowgardener mentioned, it is stuff in the water that you give to your plants.

It can be scraped off. Doing so will not remove all of it but, will clear most of it. It's also not a long term solution. There is one thing that is and that is to change the water that you use. I used to use tap water on cacti and aloes and that resulted in the white crust that is in your photo. I changed to using rainwater or water from a dehumidifier machine, which resulted in no more white stuff on my pots.

I suggest that you do the same.

imafan26
Mod

I never thought of using vinegar. But it should work fine. I use bleach, and since I am lazy, I soak the pots in 10% bleach after they have been cleaned of roots and dirt . Bleach also sterilizes them. I leave the pots soaking in a bucket for a couple of weeks and up to a month. Most of the bleach will dissipate by then. No scrubbing required. Then I rinse the pots in clean water.
Terra cotta pots are good for plants that need to be kept on the dry side because the pots breathe. If there is salt on the inside and outside of the pot there is also salt in the pores of the pot. That is why I soak them to leach the salt out of the pores as well.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Top tip Imafan. Thanks

Sweyn

baileysup wrote:Is this salt build up, and would it be OK, to just clean the pots instead of replace them? I guess It could leach back into the soil when watered, and is probably not good for the plant. What are some opinions about this? The pots are so cheap, that they could easily be replaced, but I was wondering what opinions were about just cleaning them. Here's a pic, Thanks:

What is the name of those plants?

baileysup
Green Thumb

The plant's are a variety of aloe vera. Instead of a rosette leaf formation, they grow one leaf left, and then one directly opposite, to the right. They continue to grow leaves in just these two directions directly opposite of each other. Personally, I do not care for this variety of aloe as much as the rosette leaf formation ones (normal ones), as they just don't seem as pretty to me. Here are some pics of the two different varieties next to each other for comparison:

Sweyn

Thanks, baileysup. That's an unusual kind of aloe. Do you know the name of it?

I noticed in your photographs that your pots don't have containers under them. You could place saucers under them, for example. They stop bits of soil leaking out the bottom and contain water that runs out the bottom of the pot, when the plants are watered.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Sweyn: Sorry, but I don't know the name of the aloe. If it wasn't so cold out, I would mail you a couple, cause I have more than I need. As far as the containers go, that's a good idea. The only thing is that I have so many plants, and they are very close together due to limited space. I'm not sure if there would be room to container all of them, but it's worth looking into. If you still can't find one by spring, and still want one, I'll send you a few :D . Have a good one!

Sweyn

baileysup wrote:Sweyn: Sorry, but I don't know the name of the aloe. If it wasn't so cold out, I would mail you a couple, cause I have more than I need.

That's nice of you but, I have a few aloes and they grow well enough to take several cuttings annually.
baileysup wrote:As far as the containers go, that's a good idea. The only thing is that I have so many plants, and they are very close together due to limited space. I'm not sure if there would be room to container all of them, but it's worth looking into. If you still can't find one by spring, and still want one, I'll send you a few :D . Have a good one!
Pots being close together needn't be an issue. What is important is finding a container that is just big enough for a pot to stand on. That way, you can still keep your pots close together. Something like this https://www.wmpot.co.uk/store/catalog/fl ... 19_400.jpg or this https://urbanbazaar.files.wordpress.com/ ... oforms.jpg

Ideally, they should be waterproof and without holes. You could use a saucer or a little bowl. If you can't buy one of the size that you need, you can improvise a container. Some foods in supermarkets come in their own, little bowls made of glass or ceramic. Things like pies and desserts. You can eat the product and then clean the dish, in order to stand a pot in it. This kind of dish is often exactly the right size to fit a small plant pot. Some are even the right size to fit a medium pot. You could also buy some small, foil trays that are intended for storing food, like these https://www.bluestarpackaging.co.uk/ekmp ... -2-500.jpg They can be bent to fit exactly around a pot or, they can be used as they are. Bending them means that they will not take up much space and therefore prevent you from keeping pots very close together.

applestar
Mod

baileysup wrote:The plant's are a variety of aloe vera. Instead of a rosette leaf formation, they grow one leaf left, and then one directly opposite, to the right. They continue to grow leaves in just these two directions directly opposite of each other. Personally, I do not care for this variety of aloe as much as the rosette leaf formation ones (normal ones), as they just don't seem as pretty to me. Here are some pics of the two different varieties next to each other for comparison:

This comment was interesting to me because I was thinking the aloe I have isn't the same as the ones you've been posting about elsewhere, and I've started looking for those rosette types. It looks like mine is the same as the ones you pictured here.
Attachments
image.jpg
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Sweyn: Yes you're right about the containers fitting. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Applestar: Your aloe in the pic does look like the left aloe in my pic. I think you have the same one as me. If it only grows leaves directly opposite of one another, than you do. The right aloe in my pic is a baby rosette leaved aloe, that will be pretty big one day. The two aloes in my pic are different varieties for comparison. One left/right leaf, and one rosette leaf.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”