Itoero

carnivorous plant

Hi,
I'm looking for a carnivorous plant which does not need full sun and is ok on a windowsill to the west.
Any idea?

Itoero

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Depends on how hard you are prepared to work at it. West facing window by itself will not be adequate, but it may work if you can put the plant in front of the window AND give it good supplemental light. Commonest carnivorous plants for indoors are pitcher plants and venus fly traps. In both cases, they need much higher humidity than is found in a heated house. You could try growing them on a humidity tray with frequent misting. Or you could try growing them in a terrarium, but then you will need a fan to circulate the air.

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You will need supplemental light. I recommend a venus fly trap which is grown outdoors during the warmer months if possible. You also need to take into consideration that you will need to find a place that is cooler (not very cold remember they still like warmth) so that it can go dormant in the winter. If it doesnt after a year or two it will die. You also need to remember that you can not give them normal tap water because the chemicals will kill it. You could try off gassing the water first or just use reversed osmosis water or bottled water.

If you are buying to keep bug problems down I am sad to tell you that they only catch like a fly a week. Anyway they are a lot of fun and I recommend you buy one!

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

You could also buy something like this product and not bother putting it buy a window.

https://www.bugbitingplants.com/intellig ... _light.php

Sweyn

ReptileAddiction wrote:You will need supplemental light. I recommend a venus fly trap which is grown outdoors during the warmer months if possible. You also need to take into consideration that you will need to find a place that is cooler (not very cold remember they still like warmth) so that it can go dormant in the winter. If it doesnt after a year or two it will die. You also need to remember that you can not give them normal tap water because the chemicals will kill it. You could try off gassing the water first or just use reversed osmosis water or bottled water.
There are easier ways of acquiring suitable water.

Collecting rainwater is a good idea. It is suitable for any plants, including carnivorous ones. In winter, snow and ice can also be collected and melted. It is the same as rainwater. If you do this, you need containers to hold water, a means of keeping your containers in position outdoors and something to remove random dirt from the water, like a sieve.

Water from dehumidifier machines is also very good. I had no problems when using it on carnivorous plants and other kinds.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”