Kara
Newly Registered

Growing Lithops from seeds!

Hey there! :-()

I'm trying to grow some lithops from seeds and I was looking for some advice from someone who has experience with them! (I thought about posting this in "propagating/seeding" but I thought I might get some more advice here from people who have dealt with lithops.)

I'll be attempting to grow:
Lithops Dorotheae
Conophytum Calculus
Lithops Optica Rubra
Lithops Karasmontana

(I haven't planted the seeds yet.)

This will be my first time growing lithops, so I was wondering what the best way to do this was? I heard a good way to grow them is in a plastic take out container with the lid closed. I've bought Espoma CA4 4-Quart Organic Cactus Mix for the seeds...should I be mixing this soil with something else? I also have fine sand to layer the top of the seed with (I used it for my driveway earlier on in the year, would this be okay for my seedlings?). I also don't have a heating mat for the seeds either. I do however have a plant light. I plan on placing the seeds by the windowsill and then using the plant light through the night.

If someone could give me any advice or perhaps step-by-step instructions on how to germinate as many lithop seeds as possible, that would be wonderful!

Thanks,
Kara
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 4.05.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-10-07 at 4.05.30 PM.png (321.22 KiB) Viewed 2593 times

Kara
Newly Registered

Update: I've just ordered some desert sand soil cover for plants! :-()

3 Pound Tomato
Cool Member

cool, they look like my toes!

KittieKAT

Not many people growing lithops on here I guess, in exception to ME aswell.
I ordered seeds for my non profit program for kids in Poverty stricken area's around my town to grow them and we just put the first seeds in the ground today, of course I only had crushed brick and some all purpose sand but I thought the sooner I try this the sooner I'll know if I screwed up and should use something different... I ordered some lava, pumice and turface soil but it hasn't arrived yet. I'm technically breaking the rules since we are only suppose to be using donated materials and plants...etc...etc... from people outside the organization but we have kids who are plant-less and winters coming and the kids who want mesembs have empty pots and it makes me sad :( so I splurged...really didn't have it to spare but I did it anyways.

I hope yours are doing well, I'll let u kno the same from mine.

Below is a picture of my personal lithop plant's I've saved from the trash can of a store...just one has flowered so far :)

KittieKAT

Here the pic :-()
Attachments
CAM01760.jpg

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”