oneforallaccount
Newly Registered

is my aloe dying? help!

Hi there-

I bought a tiny aloe plant when I moved away (we had mountains of them at home in FL) and it's grown to the point where now it's not so little anymore!

Unfortunately, I think I've done some poor caring for it. I stopped watering it during the rainy winter (it rains several times per week during the winter) to stop it from growing so fast, but now some tips have shrivelled and almost all of the leaves have turned this red/ brown color on the ends, and making their way inward.

Also, one of the main, thick leaves in the center was cut off and if I remember right they don't grow back. Is this going to be a problem?

The soil seems to drain well, it's not cacti soil though, and I've been watering it every few days since the Bay area summers are here.

Should I be concerned? It gets plenty of light, but it seems that's the only thing I've managed to do right. I'm awful with plants, but I love them and I'm trying to learn. Thank goodness aloes are forgiving! I just hope I haven't pushed this one over the edge!

Please reply.
:D

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi :D
Stop watering it so often. Should only be watered when the soil has dried out. Cutting off a stem is no problem to the plant just make sure you cut as low as possible. I cut mine all the time for any kind of burn or graze.

Candida

Hello,
Yes, underwatering is better than overwatering in general and especially with aloe. Treat it like a cactus and it should do well. They like lots of sun, good drainage and do not need humus-rich soil to thrive.
Hope this helps a bit.
Good luck

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”