baileysup
Green Thumb

Living Rock

I picked up this bad boy a few weeks ago, and thought I'd share. It's my first Lithops, and after reading about it, discovered it has some unique qualities. I was amazed that this succulent actually goes dormant for the spring/summer, and grows in the fall/winter. It's also probably one of the easiest succulents to over water. In their natural habitat, these succulents can survive on just fog, and/or humidity. I've never seen a plant that grows in the winter and goes dormant in the summer until now. Hopefully I don't kill it :D

I present to you my first Lithops (living stone):

baileysup
Green Thumb

Update on Lithops. Is that a flower or a seed pod? I'd love to see it flower!

baileysup
Green Thumb

It's a flower. A pink one. Granted, it was already happening when I bought it, but I'll take it. It's blooming VERY fast and should be done in a couple days. I'll take pics every day. Here it is. The blooming Lithops!:

baileysup
Green Thumb

baileysup
Green Thumb

Missed yesterday, but it's seemed to have slowed down now. Plus It is rainy and overcast today.

It's weird how two days ago, the petals were opening, and now they are closed. I think because the sun is not out today.

baileysup
Green Thumb

She bloomed today:

baileysup
Green Thumb

Wow, I just noticed that the flower opens when the sun is out, and then closes when the sun goes down. Check it out:

baileysup
Green Thumb

I don't know how much longer this flower will last, so I'm trying to get plenty of pics. I took these today, because the center of the flower has opened up (where the pollen is). It looks slightly different now.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Thanks lvpc. It's exciting when one of your succulents or cacti get flowers.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It's beautiful. Thank you for the series of photos showing the flower-to-be and then the open flower. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

baileysup
Green Thumb

No problem. Glad you like the pics :)

baileysup
Green Thumb

Bye bye flower. It was nice to know ya:

RyanG
Newly Registered

This is anamazing rock plant! were can I get one of these? I love it!

baileysup
Green Thumb

You just have to be at the right store/nursery at the right time. Believe it or not, I found this one at Walmart. Every once and awhile they get something different in, yet not very often. I check almost every time I'm there just in case they've gotten something cool in. Most of the time it's the same plants, but every once and awhile, I'm pleasantly surprised. I even found my Christmas Carol Aloe hybrid at Walmart. The thing is that when they get these "different" plants in, They don't get many (only a few). When I bought this Lithops, there were only 2 to choose from. That's it......2 in the whole store. This is why I try to check every time I'm there. It only takes a minute to see what they have. Yet you can find them in other stores as well. You just have to be at the right store/nursery at the right time. Another idea is to ask your local nursery if they know where to find any. Good luck :)
Last edited by baileysup on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RyanG
Newly Registered

baileysup wrote:You just have to be at the right store/nursery at the right time. Believe it or not, I found this one at Walmart.
I believe it! I found a Pony tail palm at walmart (If you by chance know how to take care of it please help me on my post) I will keep an eye out for this plant! It'd be an awesome part of my dorm at school!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I bought one of those in April it was a tiny thing $1 at Lowe's in a 2" pot.

I repotted it in a 10" pot and put it in full shade in the yard and watered it every day. Last week I noticed it was larger than a cantaloupe.

I moved it to full sun and the next day it was dead. It swiveled up to nothing and looked like a small dry dog poop.

applestar
Mod

I somehow completely missed this thread. I'm sorry I didn't comment when it was happening, but I enjoyed the photo progression of the bud to bloom. Thanks! :D

Gary350 -- what a shame! Did you take any pictures while it was growing? Do you think it needed to be acclimated? When I put my aloe outside for the summer, it s very sensitive and gets sunburned easily.

baileysup
Green Thumb

This is one of the easiest plants to overwater (from reading documentation). It will look best till right before it dies. I water mine with a spray bottle. Still learning. It's summer, and I BARELY water it. Just keep the soil moist..............barely and sometimes. From what I've read, it's dormant in summer, and grows in winter ???????????????WTF? If it's still here next spring, I'll post pics

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This is the first time I have grown these succulent plants. I mixed 50% horse manure with 50% sand. This is also a great soil mix for cactus. Water runs right through the pot and out the bottom but the organic material holds enough water to keep the roots wet. Lots of fertilizer value to the soil so cactus grows great so I assumed this rock plant would grow good too. I watered the plant every day with plenty of water. I think too much sun killed my plant. Full sun in AZ is a lot different that full sun some where else plus the 107 degree temperature was probably too much for the plant.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I agree. Full sun in AZ is WAYYYY more potent than full sun PA. I realize this.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, but moving any plant from full shade to full AZ sun in one step without any gradual hardening off/ acclimatizing seems like pretty guaranteed to kill it; the 107 degrees just added to that.

KittieKAT

Isn't this a Pleiospilos? In the mesemb family of lithops but not a lithop.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

right you are! pleiospilos. I just learned that early this year and hadn't figured it out last year, when I made the post here. See:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 38&t=55750

baileysup
Green Thumb

KittieKAT wrote:Isn't this a Pleiospilos? In the mesemb family of lithops but not a lithop.

Yes, you are correct. At the time of my post, I was unaware of this difference, and I do appologize for the misinformation.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Greetings bailey, When I was a boy, I was amazed buy these, moma added more of them to her cactus garden because of my liking them. They're not exactly a cactus but they lived well with them. Your's clearly enjoy your company.

Richard

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”