baileysup
Green Thumb

Bought a Saguaro Cactus

I bought it off Ebay, and should have it very soon. It's coming from Arizona. The problem is these cacti are native to Arizona, where the soil is river bed silt and sand. The cactus / succulent mix I have is nothing like it, and I fear may be too nutrient and organic. I want this cactus in the soil it is used to so it can thrive, but I live in Pennsylvania, and have no idea where to get river bed silt (not sure if the stuff in the rivers by me is the same). Could I just add sand and something else to my cactus / succulent mix to provide better drainage? The other thing is that silt and sand have a way different PH (acidity) than organic mix, and contain hardly any nutrients. The cactus / succulent mix I buy is probably loaded with nutrients, and that's not what the cactus is used to. I could of have it shipped in the pot with soil, but that would have raised shipping costs A-LOT, and is irrelevant at this point. I also messaged the seller yesterday for advice, but he has yet to get back to me. Can anyone give advice as to what to plant this Saguaro Cactus in when I get it? I want it to be happy.

baileysup
Green Thumb

OK, the seller got back to me, and said that they do "OK" in the cactus mix, but he suggested 1/3 compost, 1/3 very coarse sand, 1/3 perlite. I then asked him if I could substitute the compost with the cactus / succulent mix, and am waiting to hear back again. Would I be able to substitute the 1/3 compost for 1/3 cactus / succulent mix? I mean, there's no such thing as too much drainage.......right? The cactus / succulent mix that I buy has A LITTLE bit of sand and perlite, but not much, and it still holds water pretty good. Thoughts please?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I haven't been able to "visit" the forum for a couple of days, but I see that you've had no responses.

It could be that viewers are reluctant to post because many of the saguaro cacti being offered for sale, esp. on the Internet, have been collected illegally.

Specifics about the root structure and needs of the saguaro are here; its taproot is approx. 2 feet long, and the rest of the roots reach out from the plant as far as the plant is tall. Although not technically "endangered," the Saguaro is a slow-growing plant with specific cultural and climate requirements. Collecting one needs to take place under specified legal conditions (see first link).

The World Wildlife Federation has a good page on questions to ask about a collected cactus plant.

Hope this helps. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

baileysup
Green Thumb

Thanks for your reply, I understand your concern about illegal cacti. I purchased this one from a Saguaro farmer, and I believe that he grows his own, and does not collect them from anywhere. He has his own store called Daves Saguaro Cactus, and seems very legit to me. I guess Saguaros are his main focus, and I encourage you to look up his store to see what you think. How could he have a store called "Daves Saguaro Cactus", if he was selling illegal cactus? Wouldn't someone see it, and shut him down? Please let me know what you think of this guy, so I know what I'm getting here. I also know what mix to make for it. It will be my first time mixing my own soil, and I'll probably never go back to the premix soil.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Here's my baby: Image

She's the most awesomest cactus I've ever owned! Hey, does that pot look too big? I bought a smaller one at first (6"), but the roots were hitting the bottom. The next size up in terra cotta, was 8", so It's in an 8" pot now. If it's too big I can find a compromise, but it would be a PLASTIC pot :roll: . Let me know what you thing about the pot, cause I know I'm supposed to go as small as possible. Here's another pic: Image

baileysup
Green Thumb

Here's a pic of the first pot I bought for it. It's the empty one to the left front of the Saguaro. I know it looks like a better fit, but the roots are pretty much hitting the bottom, but I could get it in there if I had to. Whadya think I should do? Oh, and I made a super airy mix with perlite and sand, so It's not just in cactus mix. Thanks guys. Image

baileysup
Green Thumb

OK, update. Dave just got back to me and said that it just came out of a 6" pot, so the 8" that it's in would be fine! YES! AWESOME!!! ! Feel free to chime in if you want though. Thanks

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

First, I'm glad that the plant arrived safe and sound. :) All thorns intact, no breakage in the surface.

Second, I'm glad you were able to contact the seller about the size of the pot. I was going to advise against repotting simply because the plant had just been shipped, and plants can go into shock from too much change too fast.

Third, I'm glad to see that the grower--who no doubt has more experience with cacti than I do (a few in my middle-school classroom a while back; cacti were safe from the students' "tender" explorations)--agrees with my instinct that the 8" terra cotta is the correct size. Give the roots some room to explore, but not too much room. Be sure that, when you water the plant (seldom, I hope), the water drains freely and the plant doesn't stand with its feet in water (I.e., a tray). Trays are good for protecting the furniture, but if the tray is accumulating water, simply walk plant + tray to a sink and empty the excess water.

And make sure the plant gets enough light to keep it happy. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

baileysup
Green Thumb

Thank you Cynthia. There is one concern I have with the mix that I made though. I was supposed to use a soil with a low in peat content, or none at all. Everything I came across, had peat in the mix, and sometimes more than one type. SO, the 1/3 soil I used has peat in it, but I need to know what to use down the line when I re-pot that does not have peat in it. I will order some coconut coir online to substitute for the peat. Does top soil have peat in it? The grower told me to use compost, but the compost they had at my nursery was very woody and twiggy, and I was told to stay away from wood. So far I can find nothing that does not contain peat. Does anyone know of anything? Also, about how long should I wait to re-pot it in the super mix I'm making? Should I just leave it in there for the year? Or could I put it in the peat-less mix after a couple weeks to a month, and then its done? Oh, and Dave's store is an Ebay store, in case you had trouble finding it :)
Last edited by baileysup on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I think the product that I seek is "FINISHED" compost. I guess the compost at my nursery wasn't "FINISHED", and that's why it had LOTS of twigs and wood in it. Does that sound about right?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Were you at an independent nursery, or a big box/big name "gardening center"? I'd recommend seeking information at an independently owned and run nursery. Such a place is likely to have small quantities of finished (= fine particles) compost, coconut coir, and the like. It might even have planting mix suitable for cacti and other similar plants (some succulents, for example).

Whenever I've asked for help or assistance at an independent nursery (there are two within a reasonable driving distance of my house; a third is 40 or so minutes away in good traffic conditions), I've been very pleased with both the information received and the cheerful way in which it's been delivered. :)

I second your choice of coconut coir as an ingredient of the planting mix, BTW. I'm just sorry that I can't give you specifics on a good blend. The only succulents I have are quite blasé about their planting medium and grow in a blend of sandbag sand (one of my stormwater/flash flood sandbags ruptured), my own compost, and "potting mix for containers."

Cynthia

baileysup
Green Thumb

Thanks Cynthia. There are two independent nurseries in my area, and neither had pumice or coconut coir. I may have to get those online. I forgot to check the compost at the one nursery, as they may have some good stuff. The mix it's in now is PLENTY good until I can create my ultimate mix. One question though: how long would you leave it where it is until potting it in the ultimate mix? I figure at least a month. I cant even water yet it for two weeks.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If you have confidence in your seller, he's the best source for info on how often to water the plant. My experience with cacti is limited to those I had in my classroom, which were the usual small cacti specimens available almost everywhere for low prices. I bought them at one of "my" independent nurseries, b/c I needed advice on how they'd do in a classroom.

Needless to say, the poor plants got too much water and too little light. :( The kids wanted to "help" the plants *sigh*, and my portable classroom didn't have any windows. The years that I had a regular classroom, I had windows, but the two portables didn't.

Those cacti were flexible little beasts, let me tell you! I put them out every afternoon after classes while I graded *some* papers, maybe 1 to 1.5 hours? Then, on holiday weekends (e.g., Thanksgiving), they went home for a little more sun, and the summer was a major R&R with sun for them. But in September it was back to the classroom--and, of course, I never knew until the day I reported which classroom I'd have.

So something as unusual as a saguaro never came in my way! Poor thing wouldn't've had a chance....

Cynthia

baileysup
Green Thumb

LOL Cynthia. You did your best with the cacti, and that's what matters most. Thanks for all of the replies. I will post updates now and then on the Saguaro for you guys. Later

sepeters

baileysup, I am sorry, but I cannot offer you any potting mix advice. I have not heard of anyone attempting to grow saguaro in a cold state, which is not to say it doesn't happen. They are native to the Sonoran regions of AZ and Mexico and will not even grow in the high deserts of Arizona. Wild saguaro are long lived, and slow growing. A 10 year old saguaro is usually about 1 1/2 feet tall, since their first years are spent mainly growing out their roots to support the (eventually) tree sized trunk. They can live as long as 200 years and grow to an average of 50 feet, producing limbs after about 50 years. Though the tap root can get to 2 feet long they also have 2 other types of roots. One grows horizontally to 2-3 feet in diameter in a mature cactus and the other grows down as deep as the cactus is tall; these are all the fine roots you'll see when you do up-pot. After like 15 years if your cactus gets enough sun and proper drought/water conditions (light infrequent water in winter, deep infrequent water in the spring) they'll make beautiful butter colored flowers that open only in the evening. It won't fruit all on it's lonesome; takes two saguaros to tango. :wink:

Though the saguaro is not currently listed as endangered, it is protected by the government as it is a target for poaching and the number of wild saguaro is quickly diminishing. The sate issues HUGE fines and/or jail time for damaging, up-rooting, moving or removing any saguaro from the desert. Having said that, I am quite sure the state of AZ will not be coming after you and I truly hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your little (for now) piece of the desert southwest. :)

This Dave's Saguaro Cactus, unfortunately, is not a BBB accredited business. The phone number listed goes directly to private voicemail with no recorded greeting and the address is a private residence in Glendale. Google maps shows a small house with even smaller yard with two large hoop houses covered in black tarps, certainly not a "farm" or "nursery". This is almost certainly not a licensed business. Of course, I don't think you're trying to do anything wrong, but from the outside looking in, Dave is. Personally, I would not do business with them as I don't see how or why they would be growing saguaro from seed to 10 year old starts under black tarps.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I would like to think it will survive in my "house" climate. I mixed media to replicate (the best I could) the media in Arizona desert. It will not thrive here where I am, but I expect it to survive. This isn't my first cactus, yet I realize all cacti have unique requirements. I think it will be happy, and will post updates. Yes, I could be wrong. However, no matter what happens, there will be updates as to the Saguaro's condition. You say "enjoy it for now", as you are certain it will perish in my climate. I say, you may be right, but you may also be wrong. Time will tell. As far as Google Maps goes, I will check that out right now. I don't want you to take this post the wrong way, as I found it super informative, and thank you so much! He did say that the one he sent me was 8-10 years old, and they grow faster in captivity. Now, I'm off to check Google maps

baileysup
Green Thumb

I typed the name of his store into Google Maps, with nothing showing up. I couldn't find the address on his site, so what info did you type into Google Maps, and what is the address. Thanks. I dunno dude. He seems pretty legit to me. Until I see some Map of his house, I'm fine with it. How do you know that's even where he grows them?

Greenhousegrandma

I grow a LOT of cactus and we have 2 Saguaros we grew from seed. I mix 1/3 potting soil (any kind almost) with 1/3 sand and 1/3 oyster shell (you can get from a feed store, for chickens). As others have already said make sure you have it in a pot that can drain.
Hope this helps :D
It can not frost, bring it inside if the weather is cold.

baileysup
Green Thumb

baileysup wrote: You say "enjoy it for now", as you are certain it will perish in my climate. I say, you may be right, but you may also be wrong. Time will tell.
I just re-read your post, and realize I made a mistake reading it. You did not say "enjoy it for now". You said " it will be small for now". LOL. I'm so sorry, and I must say that your post was VERY informative, and well written sir. I realize that you were not being at all negative, and I apologize for misreading your post and taking it the wrong way. I do appreciate your response Sepeters, and for taking the time to help me on the subject. Thank you Sepeters.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Just an update here. I gave saguaro her first light drink yesterday, and here she is today, soaking in that Pennsylvanian sun (through a window). I wanted to give her some full sun today, but don't know if I should wait and let her get established first. Does anyone know if that would be ok, so soon after a transplant (direct sun)? If not how long should I wait? A month? A year? Thanks everyone, and she's loving this PA weather right now. It's the winter she won't like :D

baileysup
Green Thumb

I talked to the grower, and He said I could give it direct sun. Just to watch it's color to make sure it does not sunburn. So yesterday it was beautiful outside, and I let her out for the first time. She was also out today, and looked happy. He also said to mark the south side of the pot, and to make sure that that side was always facing south. The pot was already marked, so I just point that mark towards myself every time I put her out. I want to give her the best sun I can while I can.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I live in Arizona and Tennessee, I have a house in both places.

My 3/4 acres yard in Tennessee is full of cactus. Mix 50/50 potting soil with child play sand. Do NOT dig a hole to plant cactus. Dump the 50/50 sand/potting soil mix 6" deep on the surface of your yard, plant the cactus in the 50/50 soil mix.

Arizona soil is the worse possible soil, it has no food value and very little water. If you give cactus good fertile soil and water it will grow faster than a weed.

Saguaro Cactus grows best at high elevation above 2000 feet. Tucson national Saguaro Cactus park is 5000 feet, they get blizzard snow storms with 3 ft of snow over night and very cold weather. Saguaro Cactus does very well in the east where it is cold and snows.

If you put a Saguaro Cactus in your yard it will be 20 feet tall in no time at all. If you fertilize it with a high nitrogen it grows 2 times faster. 20/10/10 fertilizer works good. It only needs a teaspoon of fertilizer once a month when it is small and more when it is larger. Water every day if you want it to grow large. Do not flood it with water it only needs a little water in well drained soil.

You can plant your Saguaro Cactus in a pot, be sure to water it EVERY day if you want it to grow larger. Transplant it to the yard before it grows too large.

Go to the local brick yard buy a pickup truck load of sand. ONE ton of sand is $28. Dump it in a pile in your yard then till it in to your soil and plant your cactus there.

Tennessee gets on average 300 days of rain every year, soil is clay and holds water like a swamp, cactus hates clay soil. My cactus all does great I use lots of sand. I have to cut the cactus to keep it small. Most cactus will grow 1 foot per year some will grow faster.

Cactus loves full sun. Full sun back east is not like full sun in Arizona. It gets 115 degrees here in July and there are no natural trees for shade. Cactus gets 16 hours of full sun every day sky is blue with no clouds and it is rare to have over cast days in AZ, back east where there are trees your cactus probably won't get full sun until 9 am to 7 pm unless you live in the middle of a 40 acre field with NO trees and your winter has lots of over cast days. A cactus back east will be lucky to receive 1/2 the sunlight it would receive in Arizona in a years time.

My TN cactus gets full sun from 9 am to 6 pm and we have a LOT of over cast rainy weather and cactus grows much better than AZ cactus.

baileysup
Green Thumb

You really do know what you're talking about Gary. I was about to say that the soil here is clay, and that I would need a lot of soil, because any roots touching the natural clay here will surely rot. You have a good idea with getting a truck load of sand, because that is about the amount I would need to make the clay here livable for cacti. However, the Saguaro I purchased is somewhat sacred to me, and I would not put it outside as an experiment ( the first cactus planted outside ). I will however start some San Pedro here, and see what happens. Last year I planted an Agave Parryi outside as an experiment, but did almost everything wrong. I dug a hole, and put a good mix in the hole. This left the Agave on level ground, and the water accumulated too much. It was mush after the snow melted. That's another question I have: What if the cactus I plant outside isn't tall enough to emerge from the snow? The Agave I had outside last year was close to the ground, and was covered in snow for months. I tried to dig it out but there was a layer of ice over it, and there was no way to get the ice off it without destroying the plant. I figure that if any plant/cacti is covered with snow, it will not receive enough light to sustain life. Is this correct? Or can they live off of filtered light through the snow? I forgot to mention that my elevation is about 2000 ft, so are there any other cacti besides San Pedro, that would grow better in my elevation/climate? THANKS

baileysup
Green Thumb

I noticed today that it was a bit wrinkled at the bottom, so I moved some soil for a closer look. The part that's under the soil looks fine, so I don't think its rot. It may just be transplant shock I'm hoping. It's probably going to use this summer to get used to its pot. The wrinkling is minor, and wouldn't even show on a pic at this point (at least with my camera), so I'll wait and see. I have a chopstick in the soil that I can pull out and feel for moisture. It was still a little moist today (at the bottom) after being watered 2 weeks ago. It needs to develop a proper root system yet. I will let it dry out REALLY good before watering again, and give it half the dose of water. The last time I watered it, I gave it 4 cups (measured), but I gave it that much because I was trying to get the soil into the root system, and get it settled. We'll see.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Just checked the chopstick again, and it felt dry. That's weird how it was moist this morning, and dry now. Regardless, I'm glad it's dry now.I guess it's transplant shock. I can't water this thing much, cause I need it to root itself, and be healthy! Even with hot weather, I will wait another 2 weeks to water it. Does that sound about right?

baileysup
Green Thumb

Can I water this if the soil is 100% dry, or should I give it more time to grow out roots? I have a chopstick in there, so I know that the soil is dry all the way down, but do I want to water as soon as it drys out? Or should I let it stay dry for a week or two? I know they don't get much rain in Arizona.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Too much water is cactus worse enemy. Never dig a hole to plant cactus back East. Pour your 50/50 potting soil sand mix directly on the surface of your yard about 6" deep. Plant your cactus in the soil mix. Put the soil mix in pots when you water a plant if the water runs right through the pot and out the bottom soil is perfect. Potting soil should be wet even after the water runs out the bottom.

Many cactus will do fine below freezing down to 25 degrees F and some will do fine colder. Saguaro Cactus are native to Tucson AZ area where elevation is 5000 feet, they get rain, snow and blizzards. A cactus completely covered with 3 feet of snow is like being covered with a 32 degree blanket. Water freezes at 32 and tries to hold at that temperature. Snow and ice can protect a cactus from damage from colder weather.

If you worry about cactus getting to cold or too much rain plant them in large pots so you can bring them inside the house or garage in bad weather.

Arizona soil is 8 ph toxic to many plants. If you put cactus in good fertile soil it will grow faster than a weed. If you fertilize a cactus with high nitrogen fertilizer it will grow even faster.

Read about each type cactus you have learn what it likes then try to duplicate the conditions the cactus needs. If a cactus looks brown and sorta like a raisin on the bottom near the soil it is getting too much water. If a cactus looks yellow it is getting too much sun. If the whole cactus is turning brown it needs more water and maybe fertilizer too.

Phoenix area is low elevation, very hot and too dry for many cactus. Not very many native cactus in this area, too hot and not enough rain. All the cactus you see in town are imported from other places. Drive out into the desert and you won't see many cactus. You will see cactus growing at the base of some mountains. A mountain is like the roof of a house, rock will not soak up any water so rain comes rushing down the mountain like a river and waters all the cactus at the base of the mountain.

Some cactus does fine with too much water. Other cactus are very sensitive to too much water and will rot and die. If you don't know what your cactus likes then give it a little water and don't water again until the soil is completely dry. Cactus roots will soak up water as quick as a sponge. If you water plants with an ice cube it melts slow and the roots will soak up every drop of that water.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Damn! I've got a little bit of that raisin thing going on at the bottom, and I barely watered the damn thing! I did feel it, and it was hard, and is not mushy or anything. I guess when I water it next I will try the ice cube method, or just water it VERY LITTLE. Hopefully it recovers. It can still recover with a little bit of raisin on it right? It's only a little bit, and only on one side. I've had this cactus since mid April, and gave it a LIGHT watering early may (2 weeks after potting), and only watered it once more after that when soil was completely dry. I guess this cactus isn't like San Pedro. It needs very little water even in the summer. Hope it'll be ok, and I'll keep you guys posted

bgilbert
Newly Registered

I apologize for bringing this thread back up to the top. Baileysup, I have read your thread a few different times from a Google search. I live in Indiana and I am considering purchasing a Saguaro for a pot indoors. Thank you for all your updates throughout the process. I would like to hear how your Saguaro is doing ~ 1 year later. Thanks!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I just returned from Flagstaff today this time I checked the Saguaro cactus with my GPS. This cactus thrives at elevation 2500 to 3500 feet. This elevation gets more rain than the Phoenix area plus it is 20 degrees cooler. Temperature is about 90 degrees in summer to 15 to 20 degrees in the winter. Most of the cactus grows on the mountain sides where there is lots of gravel and rock, no soil. Saguaro cactus is not native to lower elevation but you find it in many peoples yard because they planted it there. Soil and water are both 8 PH here but don't worry about that where you live. I talked to a guy that owns a nursery he said, cactus is drought resistant and cold weather hardy and can grow it the worse soil you can imagine but that does not mean cactus like it. He said, cactus can take hot summer weather 15 hours of full sun all day but it does much better with full sun in the morning and full shade from 12 noon until dark. If you give cactus good growing conditions it will grow faster than weeds. Some cactus will do fine if you water it every day and some cactus will die if you water it everyday. This time of the season Saguaro cactus is getting a lot of rain, just about every day for the month of July and August. Today there was a very light rain when I drove through the Saguaro cactus area. People in town have problems with tall Saguaro cactus falling over because the soil in town is sand. Sand can not support a 20 foot tall 800 lb cactus. Your cactus should do fine with a mix of about 80% sand and 20% potting soil in a well drained pot for now. If you do not want to repot the Saguaro cactus anytime soon mix in 50% gravel all sizes from marble size to golf ball size. Give your cactus a good drink of water every day during the hottest part of the summer. Water needs to run right though the flower pot and right out the bottom. In cold weather NO WATER but don't worry about it if it snows on your Saguaro cactus. If you bring your cactus in the house during cold weather it will grow all winter. If you want your Saguaro cactus to grow fast give it a teaspoon of 12/6/6 fertilizer sprinkled on the surface of the soil once a month during the summer only.

I also know Saguaro cactus grow good in Tucson. There is a Saguaro cactus national forest there. They get a lot of snow and cold weather the elevation is about 5000 feet.

baileysup
Green Thumb

She is doing fine. That "raisin" never spread, and is hardly noticable. I've had it for a bit now, so I would say if I can keep one in NE Pennsylvania, anyone could keep one. Providing you can supply it with some sunlight.

Wildside
Newly Registered

148.JPG
I just found this very interesting and informative site when looking to see how big a 20 year old Saguaro in captivity should be. I bought mine in 1994 on a vacation to Arizona, it was 5 inches tall. That was 20 years ago. The first 3 years it lived in Minnesota and the last 17 years it's been in Kentucky. I put it out after the last frost and bring it in before winter. I have changed pots 3 times and each time I just cut around the old pot and set it in the new without disturbing the roots. It seems to me the bigger the pot the happier the plant so I don't agree with the little pot theory if you are careful about not over-watering. I have never fertilized it and so maybe that's why its only 16 inches tall after 20 years! I will definitely try Gary350's suggestions on fertilizing next summer. Thanks baileysup.

JeepKing
Newly Registered

Updates on these guys?

baileysup
Green Thumb

JeepKing wrote:Updates on these guys?
I'd be happy to give an update! So it's been about 3.5 years since I first got it, and it's doing well :) I honestly don't think it grew ANY taller in that time, cause I measure it every year. What I should have measured, but never did, was circumference. It does look to have grown wider, when comparing it to the pic of when I first got it. Of course the roots have been growing, but can't really measure those :D. These do appear to be VERY slow growers. Especially when grown in my climate zone. When I get home later, I will post a current pic of her. If you guys could give me your opinion on if you think the girth has increased, that would be wonderful and much appreciated. I can tell you for a fact that it has not grown even a centimeter taller though. Oh well. I'll post the pic later, and thank you for your interest! :D

JeepKing
Newly Registered

I'm fairly new to the cacti game. I bought some seeds from when I was visiting Arizona couple years ago. kept them in the freezer. I just planted them last night. following the instructions. couple months ago I had a friend give me a small blue agave. it seems to be doing great so far. My step mom had given me a cactus about ten years ago. dad has somewhat been keeping up with it(unsure what type) but recently acquired it back. it had grown about a foot! I may be getting a little ahead of myself with so many.
I am a little disappointed though to hear that there still slow growers in the home. I live in Missouri so I'm hoping that they grow a little faster lol. The instructions did say that they should be growth in 3-10 days. Will let you know if I do see any amount of growth tho tho!

baileysup
Green Thumb

To me, it looks to be slightly fatter now. Especially around the top. I will take a better pic with it outside on my day off. This was taken today. Here she is:

Edit: I just added a pic of her at the bottom, from when I first got her. Hopefully for easier comparison. Same 9" pot in all photos.

Last edited by baileysup on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

baileysup
Green Thumb

JeepKing wrote: couple months ago I had a friend give me a small blue agave. it seems to be doing great so far!
Different cacti grow at different rates, and good luck with those seeds ;) That's a nice score with the blue agave. I have one too! I love agave and aloes. They are my thing, and all I deal with now. I still keep the plants I already had of course. It's nice to have you here, and hope to see you around! Have a good one :)

applestar
Mod

Haha I had to REALLY look at the photos -- so the reference I assume is the pot which is the same?

At first I was inclined to say they look EXACTLY the same... But on further looking from one to the other, I think you are right -- it has grown sort of rounder -- bulbous at the top, as evidenced by the angle of the sides and wider "pleats" -- and I feel like the needles/thorns/spikes look different somehow.

I think you are taking great care of it -- no sign of lacking light, which you often see with indoor cacti.

baileysup
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Haha I had to REALLY look at the photos -- so the reference I assume is the pot which is the same?

At first I was inclined to say they look EXACTLY the same... But on further looking from one to the other, I think you are right -- it has grown sort of rounder -- bulbous at the top, as evidenced by the angle of the sides and wider "pleats" -- and I feel like the needles/thorns/spikes look different somehow.

I think you are taking great care of it -- no sign of lacking light, which you often see with indoor cacti.
That's right. It's the same 9" pot. It did get slightly fatter on top. That's 3.5 years though. Keep in mind that it's not super sunny where I am, and the winters here are straight up brutal . Hardly any sun in winter. Mostly overcast.

baileysup
Green Thumb

Or maybe it just got skinnier at the bottom :eek: We may never really know.......lololololol

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”