Shade

Re: Jade Plant

Just a interesting update. We have since moved into our new house and Jadezilla is out side happily enjoying the summer sun on the back patio. I could barely get him out the patio door and lost a couple of branches doing so. I am afraid I may have to cut him back in order to get him back inside this fall! He is sprouting branches all over and I hope it will bloom again this fall as it has every fall for the last 5-6 years. I did manage to lift him out of his pot and give him a dirt transfusion this spring. That should give him a growth burst (not sure if that is a good or bad thing...lol).

Andie
Newly Registered

I love your plant and would like to see an update at this point.

Shade

Moneytreehappy
Newly Registered

Hi,
I saw this very old post when looking for pics of large jade plants. Ours is huge. It's very special and I've nurtured it for about 20 years. Maybe more. Anyway, sometimes I can't quite believe it and had to share this pic when I saw Shade's magnificent plant.
Attachments
IMG_2755.JPG

Moneytreehappy
Newly Registered

Whoops. It's sideways. Anyway, my husband is 6'2 and is standing behind it.
Might try and repot this spring. But it weighs an absolute tonne. Takes up most of our room in the winter and we too decorated it as our Christmas tree this year.

BoudicaTheBrave
Newly Registered

Wow! Such a gorgeous Vibrant Jade plant ^.^!!!! never seen the likes quite like this, Amazing :D

melkerr
Newly Registered

whats your secret to success on these large plants? fertilizer? what kind of soil or watering schedule? wow!! impressive on both of those!

Shade

melkerr wrote:whats your secret to success on these large plants? fertilizer? what kind of soil or watering schedule? wow!! impressive on both of those!
I almost never fertilize my jade. I sit it outside in the summer and it gets water whenever it rains or I water the lawn. It lost quite a few branches since I last posted and isn't quite as full as my original post. I now have a smaller jade I started from the big one and it looks really good. I will see if I can post a pick of it soon. One interesting little tidbit...the last couple of years I have seen birds roosting in my big jade. I found that kind of amusing.

Shade

Moneytreehappy wrote:Hi,
I saw this very old post when looking for pics of large jade plants. Ours is huge. It's very special and I've nurtured it for about 20 years. Maybe more. Anyway, sometimes I can't quite believe it and had to share this pic when I saw Shade's magnificent plant.
Wow...your jade is amazing! How tall is it? How big around is the trunk at the largest point? Do you put it outside in the summer?

imafan26
Mod

It is one of the good things about most succulents, they don't need a lot of care or fertilizer, but they like the sun.

Shade

I uploaded the little jade I started from a cutting off of my big jade about 2 years ago (about an inch tall at the time). It's 14 inches tall. I also took a picture of it with daddy Jade in the background. The big one is about 40 inches tall and a 5-6 inch diameter trunk. Just for fun I posted another picture with a baby Robin sitting in the branches of the large jade. The mother comes and feeds him worms. Very entertaining.
Attachments
DSCN8737.JPG
DSCN8743.JPG
DSCN8744.JPG

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”