Shade

Re: Jade Plant

I've thought a lot about how to move it. It will have to be moved twice, once to our rental house for 2 months and then to our new house when building is complete. I think what I am going to do is put it in the U-haul the very last thing after everything else is loaded. I am expecting some loss of branches but Jades are very hardy and will recover. I will take every precaution to prevent any loss at all.

Shade

An update. I moved my Jade successfully to the rent house about 3 weeks ago. In about another month we will have to move him to our permanent residence. I hope the last move will go as well as the this one did! As a side note I a have noticed that it hasn't shed leaves this winter as it has every winter I have had it. I am not sure why but I am pleased non-the-less. I can't wait to get to our new house so I can find a permanent place for him.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I'd propagate a new jade baby, and sell the parent.

It'll take a serious search, but you can prune jade back and more (or less) into bonsai. Look on the web for how others done it. Jade will back-bud.

Shade

I am no longer looking to downsize or prune it back. I have really grown to like it as it is. Not really fond of the bonsai look.

Shade

I am about to move my jade to its permanent home this Saturday. Wish me luck. :)

baileysup
Green Thumb

Good luck Shade. Let us know how it goes, and a picture is always nice, if you can ;). I love seeing your jade. It's spectacular, and inspirational.

applestar
Mod

Ooh Good luck! :D

Shade

I will post a pic in its new home if I can remember how to do it. :-)

han412

This is a pic of my jade bonsai. This plant responds well to prune. If I were you I would prune the plant to a desired size and start a bonsai . :)
Attachments
IMG_2834.JPG

Rose bloom
Green Thumb

Um, han12, he said he did not want to downsize it anymore and said he did not really like the bonsai look.

Shade

Well, my jade survived!! My computer didn't. I am on my daughters laptop.. I hate it. I will take some pics and try to post them when my comp is repaired!!

Shade

Here is my big jade after we have moved. He has a new home in front of our southern window. It is now too wide to take outside. It is over 48 inches across and our doors are only 36. I am still going to see if I can manage to get him outdoors at least one more year if I can.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76428164@N02/14141126964/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/76428164@ ... otostream/
Last edited by applestar on Fri May 09, 2014 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Grabbed the image codes and pasted in post to display.

applestar
Mod

That's an amazing looking plant. Fantastic! :D
It looks like a plant dolly would be useful. I've invested in a new one for the fig, replacing a cheap one from the craft store I had been using, and it is so much more stable and rolls smoothly that I got a second one for the smaller banana. I resorted to planting the big banana in a wheeled bucket. :lol:

If you prune, you could propagate cuttings from it?

baileysup
Green Thumb

48"! Wow, that really puts it into perspective (I didn't know it was THAT big, lol). That jade is a monster!! And a lovely one at that. I'm so glad she survived the big move, and is looking STUNNING as ever. I'm glad you wanted to leave it in it's natural state, and not make it a bonsai, because it has A LOT of NATURAL beauty ;). I let my jades grow natural as well. Thanks for the update Shade.

Shade

@applestar: Yes you can propagate jades from cuttings. I have given many many cuttings away over the years. He (jadezilla) will be 8 years old in June. Jades will grow from leaves or stems.

Shade

Just a interesting update. We have since moved into our new house and Jadezilla is out side happily enjoying the summer sun on the back patio. I could barely get him out the patio door and lost a couple of branches doing so. I am afraid I may have to cut him back in order to get him back inside this fall! He is sprouting branches all over and I hope it will bloom again this fall as it has every fall for the last 5-6 years. I did manage to lift him out of his pot and give him a dirt transfusion this spring. That should give him a growth burst (not sure if that is a good or bad thing...lol).

Andie
Newly Registered

I love your plant and would like to see an update at this point.

Shade

Moneytreehappy
Newly Registered

Hi,
I saw this very old post when looking for pics of large jade plants. Ours is huge. It's very special and I've nurtured it for about 20 years. Maybe more. Anyway, sometimes I can't quite believe it and had to share this pic when I saw Shade's magnificent plant.
Attachments
IMG_2755.JPG

Moneytreehappy
Newly Registered

Whoops. It's sideways. Anyway, my husband is 6'2 and is standing behind it.
Might try and repot this spring. But it weighs an absolute tonne. Takes up most of our room in the winter and we too decorated it as our Christmas tree this year.

BoudicaTheBrave
Newly Registered

Wow! Such a gorgeous Vibrant Jade plant ^.^!!!! never seen the likes quite like this, Amazing :D

melkerr
Newly Registered

whats your secret to success on these large plants? fertilizer? what kind of soil or watering schedule? wow!! impressive on both of those!

Shade

melkerr wrote:whats your secret to success on these large plants? fertilizer? what kind of soil or watering schedule? wow!! impressive on both of those!
I almost never fertilize my jade. I sit it outside in the summer and it gets water whenever it rains or I water the lawn. It lost quite a few branches since I last posted and isn't quite as full as my original post. I now have a smaller jade I started from the big one and it looks really good. I will see if I can post a pick of it soon. One interesting little tidbit...the last couple of years I have seen birds roosting in my big jade. I found that kind of amusing.

Shade

Moneytreehappy wrote:Hi,
I saw this very old post when looking for pics of large jade plants. Ours is huge. It's very special and I've nurtured it for about 20 years. Maybe more. Anyway, sometimes I can't quite believe it and had to share this pic when I saw Shade's magnificent plant.
Wow...your jade is amazing! How tall is it? How big around is the trunk at the largest point? Do you put it outside in the summer?

imafan26
Mod

It is one of the good things about most succulents, they don't need a lot of care or fertilizer, but they like the sun.

Shade

I uploaded the little jade I started from a cutting off of my big jade about 2 years ago (about an inch tall at the time). It's 14 inches tall. I also took a picture of it with daddy Jade in the background. The big one is about 40 inches tall and a 5-6 inch diameter trunk. Just for fun I posted another picture with a baby Robin sitting in the branches of the large jade. The mother comes and feeds him worms. Very entertaining.
Attachments
DSCN8737.JPG
DSCN8743.JPG
DSCN8744.JPG

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”