flufffox
Newly Registered

help with new succulents?

Hi! I came to this place via google and after enjoying all of your amazing succulents and cacti, I'm wondering if you can help me take care of my succulents?

I got a couple of adorably small and weird succulents at the end of september as a gift but they've since grown a little wrinkled or are browning at the stem and I'm wondering how I can help them get better, if I need to help them get better?

Just a little under a month ago I've moved them to a dry place that has, I think, west sun on them. Could it be that the former place they lived was a little too wet and this has caused them to wrinkle?

The sun is currently shining bright in the mornings (if we have any sun at all) but is already disappearing in the early afternoon, around two-ish. Unfortunately sunny weather isn't all too common here especially in winter, could that be the case of their wrinkles?

Google an be mighty confusing and I can't seem to easily find their commonly used names so if any can identify them that would be a big help too as I'd probably find more articles about them with their common names than their latin names!

At last here are a few pictures of all of my plants! I'm sorry for the poor quality!

This one seems to be wrinkled vertically all over its stems.

This one seems quite all right actually!

This one seems to be browning at its root/stem, and just kind of all around sad.

This one seems healthy too!

This one seems wrinkled horizontally :(

This one seems quite all right except for that one drooping stem?

As you can see, he flowered for a little while though! Wau back in september/early october, I think.

flufffox
Newly Registered

These are all the latin names!

euphorbia obesa
Fenestraria aurantiaca
Frithia pulchra
lithops ...something
Titanopsis ... something

Happy Days

Fluffox, are you still here?

flufffox
Newly Registered

I'm here again!

Two of my plants have died since this post...

One that's written down as Pleï Neli and the other fenestraria aurantiaca...

Frithia pulchra is looking bad but the others seem to be looking all right.

UrbanGardenDiva

These plants look to be Mesembs. They require well draining soil and arid conditions to survive. Your medium looks like regular potting mix? I would suggest re-potting in 1:1 potting mix and perlite. Let your plants dry completely in between watering to keep them healthy. The browning at the base could be the start of rot. Cut back on watering and see how it goes. Good luck!

sepeters

Agreed! They are def getting too much water, possibly not enough light as well. And, yes, you'll need some poor soil with no organic matter in it. Consider cactus the anorexics of the plant world. They need to drink occasionally, but will generally respond very badly to feeding of any kind. Besides making sure they get as much light as possible, just neglect them til they get cramped and need to be up-potted.

Avoid touching them, if at all possible, too. The tiny hairs on the plants rub off easily and then the plant loses its natural protection ( if it is purple hued, you will see it quickly lose its color after it has been handled with bare hands.)

flufffox
Newly Registered

Thank you for your replies, I will see to it they get different soil!

Just a note though: during the winter I did not give them any water, but it's possible they did not get enough light (I moved them to what is, hopefully, a spot with more sunlight). Since the winter I have only spraided them once with water.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”