DesertOrd
Newly Registered

Myrtillocactus yellowing/wrinkling

Hi All,

We have been having difficulty with our Myrtillocactus for some time now and it recently turned a corner and seemed to be doing very well. It had shade cloth on during the summer's worst and I removed the shade cloth in the last two weeks and it looks like we have a serious yellowing and/or dying problem. Any ideas what could be causing this? I know yellowing is associated with sunburn and wilting is associated with lack of water, but we've had a wet summer and the shade cloth was in the place for the hottest months here in Phoenix. My secondary question is what should our next steps be? We are in a position to plant into earth now and had plans to replant before this occurred. We already lost one arm in the same sort of yellowing/desiccation. Ideas?

[img]https://s5.postimage.org/nkzxfzapj/photo_1.jpg[/img]

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Tonio
Green Thumb

The soil looks kinda wet. Is it porous, or is there peat in the mix?

Cochal's can get huge, but need some root room. They grow like brushes( multiple stems) more than the solo stem type.

Do I see a new stem? Is it from the main stem?

DesertOrd
Newly Registered

Tonio, the soil was freshly watered when the photo was taken...it was a desperation watering, just a few drops in case lack of water was causing our issue.

We did have a new stem grow in the last few years and it is indeed from the main stem. We replanted in the same amount of time, about two years... do you think planting in the ground in November will be too much of a risk in order to save the plant? Also, is it so bad that we should remove the new stem now or give it more time?

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”