supernnyl

Aloe Vera Turning Brown & Wilting

I have an aloe vera plant that I've maintained for 2 years. As it has grown, I've transplanted it to larger pots. However, it is now starting to turn brown and almost wilt (curl).

Will someone please tell me what is wrong and how to address this issue? You can copy and paste the links below into a browser in order to view actual pictures of the plant.

https://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/supernnyl/Aloe2.jpg

https://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t490/supernnyl/Aloe1.jpg

Spotted
Cool Member

I'm not an expert, but for me, a little more information could help so I have a couple of questions. If someone else can chime in who is more of an expert please do.

Has your plant been in full sun before this happened? It looks a little bit like an aloe that has gotten sun burned to me.

What type of soil have you repotted it in?

How often do you water it?

Has the plant been moved and is there a difference between the first place that it might have been at and the place that it is now?

Also if you haven't already done this, you might want to do a search on past threads about aloe plants. there is probably someone who has had a similar problem.

Spotted
Cool Member

I also might add that the pot that you have your aloe plant in, is huge. Aloe's like to have snug root systems and while I'm no expert, that could have something to do with what is going on.

supernnyl

Hi Spotted...thanks for your reply. Let me address your questions:

Absolutely nothing has changed with this plant's environment. It only gets afternoon sun...it's been in the same spot for 2 years.

It's potted in regular miracle grow potting soil that I bought at Lowe's...there's gravel in the lower portion of the pot to help with drainage. It's always been in this kind of potting soil, and up until now, thrived...growing twice the size that it was when I brought it back from Aruba in a ziplock bag (with a wet paper towel in it).

I don't water it often...maybe every 2-3 weeks. When I first brought it home, I read about how aloe doesn't like a really wet environment. So I made it a point not to over water.

As I said before, it's never been moved. I did have it in a much smaller pot. After doing research, what I largely read was that the growth of aloe plants is inhibited by the size of the container...that once it gets to a certain size, you must put it in a larger container to maintain growth and health. It was about a year ago that I put it in the larger pot, and it grew even larger.

Now, though, it's taken a weird turn for the worst. Not sure what to do.

Spotted
Cool Member

Evnthough you have had the aloe plant in that pot for a year, you might be having a rot problem. When aloe plants are too moist their leafy stalks can shrivel. Musical grow is a wonderful potting mix but aloe does best if you mix some playground sand in the mix. My aloe is in a mix of there parts normal potting mix and one part playground sand but most people on here will tell you to make the mix 50 50. Pair the type of soul with the size of the pot and you have more moisture than you may think being conserved.

you may want to read other threads about aloe plants on here depending on what the plant looks like right now. Sorry that it took me a while to get back to you.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I would put it in a smaller pot

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”