callamisfit

repotting christmas cactus

hello everyone my best friend has a Christmas cactus that was her grandfathers she has had it for many years and wants to re pot it was wondering if there is any certain time that this should b done or can u re pot at any time thanks all help will b greatly appreciated

Spotted
Cool Member

For the most part, Christmas cactus are fairly hardy. One little segment can survive breaking off of the mother plant and waiting till the opportune conditions to grow come along.

That said, the best time to repot a Christmas cactus would be after it blooms. The plant goes into a period of rest. You could probably still get away with repotting it now if your friend really wants to and still have it be close to the right season. My mom has one as well and when she has repotted it, she's never really paid attention to the time of year that it has been when she has, and hers has survived. When my mother has repotted hers, it's mostly effected weather or not it blooms the next season.

callamisfit

thank u very much for the info didnt want anything to happen to it since it has so much sentimental value and she is going to take a piece off of it for me I am so honored to have something from her family also thanks again

Spotted
Cool Member

No problem. You might try checking older threads here for more information. Also I googled the question ' when is the best time to repot Christmas cactuses?'and I came up with another forums conversation that included information about the type of soul this plant should have as we'll as root information. I google is an addiction.

I know how special those plants can be that we get from loves ones. I have a cutting from a lipstick plant that belongs a good friend's mother.

callamisfit

very cool thank u so much for ur help she is going to re pot it I am hoping to get a piece off it this week what kind of soil do u recommend that I should use have never had a cactus before this is only my 2nd year of gardening I had a few calla lilies last year and a couple of new guinea impatiens in large crocks and now this year I have gone crazy with container gardening threw out the fake flowers I put in pots late in the season last year out on my deck am going to get pictures taken and post on the container gardening site tomorrow I am a bit biased but my flowers are looking gorgeous never thought I had a green thumb but I guess with kids gone and its only me and my dog Mojo I have the time to put into them thanks for ur help I really appreciate it

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”