nicolerowley
Newly Registered

Terrarium drainage?

I really like the look of a cacti and succulent terrarium, but I don't know how to make it last. Right now I have elephant bush, curiosity plant and old man of the andes and I put about an inch or two of gravel and rocks at the bottom to help with drainage, and then I poked holes in a plastic lid and placed it on top of the rocks and then put Miracle-Gro for Cacti, Palms and Citrus as the soil. Is this ok? How long do you think these plants could last like that? I want to put them in regular pots but I haven't found any that I like as much as the glass conatiner I have them in now. Thank you in advance!

Nicole

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think it would last very long, maybe a year at the most. The water that drains through the rocks will just evaporate and create excess moisture, which most cacti and succulents don't like. Th exception would be jungle cacti, except they like to have their roots confined, because they grow in the crotches of trees.

nicolerowley
Newly Registered

Yeah, I actually gave up on the whole thing and planted them in a lunchbox that I drilled some holes at the the bottom of . I hope they are a lot happier this way.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”