shallot48
Newly Registered

moon cactus

Hello, I am new here and I have a question. I bought a moon cactus for my 7 year old son. It's a cute one with the top between orange and yellow. I have read about how to take care of them already, but there is something I haven't found about it. The pot the catus is in is very small and I was wondering if I can transplant it to a bigger one or if there is a risk in doing so. As it's springtime, and I've always heard this is a good season to do so, I would very much appreciate the advice of what to do with it. Thank you in advance for the interest in my question. :) [/b]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, you can transplant it. Make sure the container is no more than 2 inches larger across the top than the old one is. Use a growing medium that is specially formulated for cacti and succulents ... the bag should be clearly marked as such. Do not water the cactus for a week or two before you transplant it, and do not water it for a week or two afterward. For cacti, the roots fare better during transplantation if everything is dry.

:)

shallot48
Newly Registered

Thanks for your advice, I'll put in practice as soon as I have some soil for the cactus and the apropiate recipient. The one is in now must be a couple of inches in diameter probably. I'll tell you how things go when I do it. Thank you again!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You are most welcome!

A picture of the plant afterward would be nice, too. :)

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]Posting Pictures & Photos[/url]

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”