shallot48
Newly Registered

moon cactus

Hello, I am new here and I have a question. I bought a moon cactus for my 7 year old son. It's a cute one with the top between orange and yellow. I have read about how to take care of them already, but there is something I haven't found about it. The pot the catus is in is very small and I was wondering if I can transplant it to a bigger one or if there is a risk in doing so. As it's springtime, and I've always heard this is a good season to do so, I would very much appreciate the advice of what to do with it. Thank you in advance for the interest in my question. :) [/b]
There'll be two dates on your tombstone
And all your friends will read 'em
But all that's gonna matter is that little dash between 'em..."

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yes, you can transplant it. Make sure the container is no more than 2 inches larger across the top than the old one is. Use a growing medium that is specially formulated for cacti and succulents ... the bag should be clearly marked as such. Do not water the cactus for a week or two before you transplant it, and do not water it for a week or two afterward. For cacti, the roots fare better during transplantation if everything is dry.

:)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

shallot48
Newly Registered

Thank you!

Thanks for your advice, I'll put in practice as soon as I have some soil for the cactus and the apropiate recipient. The one is in now must be a couple of inches in diameter probably. I'll tell you how things go when I do it. Thank you again!
There'll be two dates on your tombstone
And all your friends will read 'em
But all that's gonna matter is that little dash between 'em..."

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You are most welcome!

A picture of the plant afterward would be nice, too. :)

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]Posting Pictures & Photos[/url]
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”