baileysup
Green Thumb

Aloe Vera vs. other Aloe

Hey everyone! I haven't been here for a while, but I guess life just gets in the way sometimes. I was just curious if other Aloe plants (Japanese Aloe, and all the others) shared ALL of the nutritional properties of the Aloe Vera? Or is the Aloe Vera healthier for you than all the other varieties of Aloe, because it has nutritional properties that the other varieties lack? I wish to know this because if the Aloe Vera is healthier than the other varieties, I will be sure to always have some around, instead of swapping them all out for other varieties. Like maybe some Japanese Aloe, because I heard they aren't bitter, and taste better to eat. I searched the web, but was unable to find an answer, so that is why I posted. THANKS FOR ANY INPUT!!!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's possible that other aloe species have some uses similar to those of Aloe Vera, but I don't have the knowledge or experience to advise you which specific ones would be safe. Sorry about that. :(

baileysup
Green Thumb

So, there are toxic aloes then? I thought there may be, and I've heard that you're not supposed to eat the skin of the Aloe Vera, but you can eat the skin of the Japanese Aloe? LOL, I don't know. How have you been Kisal? Good to see you.

baileysup
Green Thumb

All I know is that the skin of the Aloe Vera contains a chemical called Aloin, and this is basically a natural laxative. This is OK in small doses if you need that kind of help, but to much will give one diarrhea. I heard that one can eat the skin of the Japanese Aloe, so I wounder if the Japanese Aloe contains Aloin or not? The skin of the Aloe Vera also contains a mild skin irritant. Are there any severely poisonous aloe varieties out there?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have always heard that only the clear gel of Aloe vera was edible. I have heard that the yellowish gel from right beneath the skin of the plant, was bitter and, although not necessarily poisonous, not particularly good for one.

However, although my grandmother, with whom I lived when I was growing up, was an herbalist (nearest doctor was 50 miles away ... one way), I have no interest in the medicinal use of herbs, myself.

I honestly don't feel that I have sufficient knowledge of the medicinal use of Aloe vera, or any other Aloe species, to answer your question. If you like, I can move this thread to the Herb Gardening forum. Someone there might be able to help. That's the best I can offer. [img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/Kisal_photos/dunno.gif[/img]

baileysup
Green Thumb

No, that's OK Kisal. Don't worry about it. I just wanted to see if anyone knew. No big deal, cause I can just research a bit more. Thanks for the reply though.

baileysup
Green Thumb

why is this thread at the top of succulents?

baileysup
Green Thumb

why is this thread at the top of succulents?

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”