abyssus04
Newly Registered

Aloe plant help

I recently aquired two small aloe plants from a neighbor about 3 weeks ago, today I noticed that some of the leaves have seemed to become really thin in parts, like they lost all the moisture in them. I keep them in a sunny window, and only water when the soil drys out like I've been told to, so I'm not sure what's going on, any suggestions? TIA

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If your plants are on the windowsill, close to the glass, it's possible that they're getting too hot during the day, or too cold at night. If you think heat might be the problem, you can reduce it by increasing the airflow around the plants with a small fan. Moving the plants about 6 inches away from the glass can help resolve either situation.

While aloes can survive drought conditions, they will struggle and won't look their best. It is important to let the soil become fairly dry between waterings, but you don't want to overdo it. What size are the containers, measured across the top? :)

abyssus04
Newly Registered

4.5 inches, the plants are only about 4 inches tall with only about 3-4 leaves each.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

After you have thoroughly watered them, let the soil dry about halfway down. I determine the need for water by the weight of the plant. I heft the pots in my hands immediately after I water them, then repeat that daily until they feel light enough to need watering again. It takes a little practice, but you can do it. Alternatively, you can dig down into the soil with one of your fingers to test the dryness. For pots the size of yours, water when the soil is dry to at least an inch below the surface of the soil. :)

abyssus04
Newly Registered

Ok. Thanks much, I have moved my plants to a little hutch about a 2 feet away from the window, which is west facing, and it still gets alot of light in that area. The window is an older one, from when the house was built in the 30's and it does get drafty at times, but it's the only window with good lighting we have.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have the same situation with the west window where I keep some of my plants. :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”