Tilde
Green Thumb

How long does it take a typical succulent to root?

As a favor to a friend at work who doesn't have natural light but does have a nice shelf, I potted up some succulent 'weeds' (they're weeds to me but look rather pretty) about two weeks ago; I put it in an 8-inch (or is it 10?) clay 'orchid' pot (clay pot with a couple extra holes).

It seems to have recovered from transplant shock nicely, starting to put out a new leaf or two. She's been out of town unexpectedly and next week is a short week - is it okay to hold onto it until Decemberish?

Is a month long enough for it to root and survive in an office environment (right now it's in full shade at home on the side porch) or not? I was planning to get a nice matching saucer over the holiday break but I don't want to give it to her too early ... (and I'd offer to have it at my window desk on weekends or further long breaks).

Also, any suggestions for dirt covering? I bought a spider plant that was grown mostly in peat or coir (how to tell the difference?) and when I transplanted it I reserved some, but I don't know if a thin layer is enough to make it look "presentable" ...

boy I'm all over the place with this, huh?

Tilde
Green Thumb

I let it sit dry a couple of days and popped it into a bigger pot - it had a pup growing up and the roots seemed solid so I guess I answered my own question. I put some shredded palm bark in the bottom of the pot, some cactus bagged dirt in and around the ball, then topped it with moss.

We'll see how it does in her little corner!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would get rid of the moss. It will cause the soil to stay moist too long. And if it's sphagnum peat moss, it could tend to increase the pH of the soil. That might or might not matter, depending on the species of succulent.

Tilde
Green Thumb

I used something similar to this from the orchid shelf:

Better-Gro Premium Grade 1/8 cu. ft. Orchid Moss

https://www.floridata.com/ref/t/trad_pal.cfm

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”