Charis

Succulents questions, Lithops & co?

Hello, I'm new to this forum but was looking for advice on growing the Lithops plant I recently bought. there is a large thread on Lithops but sooo many comments, and haven't seen any (admittedly on a very quick look) that answer my specific questions.

1. It's in a very small pot and the roots are visible at the bottom. Is it a good idea to repot now? (UK climate)

2. If OK to repot, I would like to put several in a bowl. What succulents go well with Lithops and require similar or the same growing conditions? I was thinking about Fenestraria or Pleisopilos, but the former seems to need more water and I wonder if the latter may be too large compared to Lithops.

3. Having seen some of the advice on growing medium, would a mix of coarse sand, aquarium gravel (coarse small pebbles and finer gravel) and a small amount of compost be OK? I have these to hand and don't want to buy expensive cactus compost if not necessary.

4. I have never grown any of these before, (though used to have cacti that thrived on neglect but didn't easily flower). The brightest (east facing) windowsill available tends to get a lot of condensation in frosty weather, so not sure of the best place.

Thanks

I like plants

1) For repoting the Lithop, it can wait until May when the plant is not dormant. Just do not repot the Lithop while it is having a new growth.

2)Bad idea, just leave the Lithop alone in it's own pot. That is because normal succulents usually need more frequent waterings as opposed to Lithops.

3)I would just get a succulent mix soil and add some sand to it.

4)The main step to have healthy Lithops is to repect there cycle. Only water them once a month. When a new growth starts to appear, DO NOT water it. Otherwise it will rot. Once it is completely done growing it's new growth, you can start watering at every month again.

Change the exposure of your Lithop to a window that doesn't have much condensation and is warm.

Charis

I like plants wrote:1) For repoting the Lithop, it can wait until May when the plant is not dormant. Just do not repot the Lithop while it is having a new growth.

2)Bad idea, just leave the Lithop alone in it's own pot. That is because normal succulents usually need more frequent waterings as opposed to Lithops.

3)I would just get a succulent mix soil and add some sand to it.

4)The main step to have healthy Lithops is to repect there cycle. Only water them once a month. When a new growth starts to appear, DO NOT water it. Otherwise it will rot. Once it is completely done growing it's new growth, you can start watering at every month again.

Change the exposure of your Lithop to a window that doesn't have much condensation and is warm.
Thank you so much, that is really helpful.

The problem is that I already repotted - too impatient to wait! I bought a few more Lithops and some other succulents that seemed to need similar conditions (Lapidaria, Fenestraria and Monvilea) and planted them in a bowl, but didn't water them. The growing medium was a bit damp, so hope they survive. I left one Lithops in the original container though, so should still be OK if the others die.

Would it be best not to water any of them at all now - not even once a month - until the Spring? Maybe they will then have time to settle down and heal their roots after being moved.

Two of the 4 Lithops just finished flowering when I bought them, the others show no sign of flowers.

The warmest room is probably an East facing but more shaded bedroom with a radiator under the window, or the lounge, (also with a radiator under the window) except it's more shaded than upstairs. You can't seem to get a lot of light AND warmth in our climate!

Can you tell me anything about the other succulents, especially Lapidaria and Monvilea? Even on the internet I couldn't get much.

Thanks again

Ch

I like plants

Well, if there are no new growth appearing, it is safe to water the Lithops once a month. But, if the soil is still damp or humid, donnot water them

I checked on google and the Lapidaria is a Lithop. It grows in south Africa. So, treat it like a Lithop.

The Monvillea seems to be a normal cactus. It can probably survive with a once a month watering. I rarely water my cactus and they are doing fine.

Charis

Thank you, that is very helpful indeed

Lapidaria does look like a Lithops, except the one I have has three leaves instead of two. One of my Lithops (L. optica-rubra) is red and has four leaves - seems it is dividing into two plants?

I used to have some proper cacti (a bit too spikey for my taste, though interesting) but never, or hardly ever, watered them in winter, and they seemed to do fine.

I like plants

There are indeed many Lithop species.

They come in many shape and forms.

I have some that look like toes and others that look like a green rock.

They can have more than two leaves. That is how a Lithop gets bigger.

I'm glad I was able to help you out.

Charis

All the repotted succulents look OK so far, and the Fenestraria (the one that looks like toes - I like that description) has just produced a little flower stalk, with the yellow of the flower just beginning to show. That was the most pot bound of all of the plants. I had to break some of the roots to get it out and then tear the root ball apart a bit to spread them before replanting. But the plant still looks very green and healthy, so here's hoping...

I'm quite excited to see what the flower will look like!

I like plants

Charis wrote:All the repotted succulents look OK so far, and the Fenestraria (the one that looks like toes - I like that description) has just produced a little flower stalk, with the yellow of the flower just beginning to show. That was the most pot bound of all of the plants. I had to break some of the roots to get it out and then tear the root ball apart a bit to spread them before replanting. But the plant still looks very green and healthy, so here's hoping...

I'm quite excited to see what the flower will look like!
The flowers are very nice. They look like daisies.

I'm glad your Lithop's are doing fine!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”