mekapellen
Newly Registered

Lithops Growing Medium

I've seen so many suggested mixtures for Lithops potting media. From what I've gathered, they like sand, gravel, and just enough soil to hold it together. With that said, would this combination work?

1 part sand
1 part cactus/succulent mix
1 part pea gravel

I want to make the best use of the giant bag of sand that I'm going to have to buy since I need it for a Fenestraria mixture anyway.

djlen
Green Thumb

For Lithops you need a well drained substrate. It's components are not all that important.
How fine is the sand? If it's too fine it can compact and that can cause issues.

mekapellen
Newly Registered

It was labeled as coarse sand, so hopefully that should be okay. I changed the composition and added some pumice so it's even airier now.

djlen
Green Thumb

Sounds like your recipe above would be a good one if the sand is coarse enough. I've always been fascinated with Lithops. I had quite a few different types years ago when we had a small green house. I got into cactus and other succulents as well. I saw some really nice ones when we took our trip to Phoenix in Feb. Good luck with yours. They will bloom if given the right conditions.

Check out these guys: https://www.indoor-plant-care.com/plant-list/living-stones-lithops/

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”