MrPocket
Newly Registered

Pest control recommendations for succulents, jasmine, etc

I'm running into a bit of an issue with these small, black, fruit fly looking bugs that seem to be eating the undersides of my succulents. Its causing the edges of the leaves to turn black. I have discovered multiple plants in my garden with this same issue, and each one have this white, cotton looking substance in and around the base of the plant. My guess is that its beginning stages of these pesky little bugs.

My question is, are there certain pest control products you prefer? Or can I use a typical Ortho Home defense product? What about lady bugs? Or beneficial nemotodes? I've put a lot of time and effort into these plants, and I refuse to let these little pests beat me! :)

Please advise.. Thank you for your help..

-RJT

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My first impression is that your plants are being overwatered, and the insects you're seeing are fungus gnats. On reflection, however, I think it's possible that there may be 2 or 3 different things affecting your plants. Can you post pictures of the cacti here? ([url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]Instructions for Posting Pictures & Photos on Forums[/url])

I'd especially like to see the white, cottony substance.

Try to post clear, well-lighted close-up shots. (I'm probably the world's worst photographer, so just do the best that you can. ;) )

MrPocket
Newly Registered

Aww, I checked back in too late! I went ahead and cut out the infected succulent the other day, in fear it may spread to the others. It was the same plant with the majority of the white cotton substance on it, and it was turning my plant a dull gray color in spots. (usually a red/orange color) I also did a light spray of a very diluted mixture of water and ortho home defense, which seemed to get rid of the pest for now.

I'm terrible with the names of the various succulents, (since I'm fairly new) but the others seem to be rebounding now that I got rid of the infected plant, as well as watering a bit less.

I never thought I'd have such a passion for planting/ gardening/ succulents/ etc.. I find myself day dreaming about them.. I guess you could say I've got the bug!

Thanks for the suggestions Kisal. Great to know I've got a resource like this.. Much appreciated !

-RJT

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”