deederville21
Newly Registered

Aloe plant has bugs!

Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum and I have an emergency with my aloe plant. I just noticed today while watering it that it has little ant looking buts in it. They are about the size of a grain of rice and they are black and shiny and kind of flat. I also found a really small worm looking thing in there. I think they are bad because I pulled out a small leaf that looked brown and rotted at the base and it just pulled right out with no force at all and that's when I saw that worm crawl out. I'm extremely grossed out and afraid my house will get infested with these bugs. How do I get rid of them or should I just throw out the plant? It's really healthy for now anyways and I'd like to try and save it. I'd like to replant it if possible...would that get rid of those nasty bugs? Thank you so much!!!!

FistulinaHepatica

Try mixing some cinnamon powder (lots of bugs hate that) into the soil mix when you repot. Take plant outside and clean it thoroughly before repotting. Got pics? Sounds like mealy bugs.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I suggest that you carefully examine all the leaves at the base. If all or most of them are soft and rotted at the base, then the plant is probably not salvageable. IMO, anyway.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”