jayla
Newly Registered

Gash in Split Rock, Pleiospilos nelii

Hello,

I bought a Pleiospilos nelii about a month ago from a garden show. It is in the same plastic container (2.5"w x 3"h) and gravel soil that I bought it in. When I got it, the two outer old leaves were still there but slowly started to shrink away as the weeks wore on.

Environmental conditions:
1. I water it once a week with rain water.
2. It is indoors, with sunny but indirect light, northwest exposure and I live near Chicago.
3. In the last few days there has been a jump in temps from about 70s to almost 100. Despite a/c in the home, room temp has increased as well as humidity (maybe a jump from 68 to 78).

Problem:
1. I watered it on Friday (4 days ago) and gave the pot a quarter turn so the leaves were facing the light.
2. I check on my beloved today (Tuesday) and I see a gash on one of the leaves, a brown dried spot on the other leaf, and mold on the now very shrunken old leaves!!! :shock:

What to do? What to do!! :( And what does this all mean?

Should I peel the moldy leaves off? I'm kinda afraid to touch them for fear of ripping the plant.

Also, the tiny little buds that were growing in the middle seem to have stopped. How can I encourage them?

I have attached links to photos on my flickr account to aid in diagnosis and treatment.
:wink:

Thanks in advance for feedback!

Jayla :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45521525@N03/5810444231/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45521525@N03/5811010012/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/45521525@N03/5810444675/in/photostream/

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It means you have been overwatering the plant. It is rotting, and the decomposing tissue has been infected with mold, I.e. a fungus.

You can try to salvage the plant by reducing the frequency of watering, and also, if possible, reducing the humidity. I'm not sure how you would do the latter, though.

That's all I can think of suggesting that you try. Usually, by the time mold sets in, the plant is too far gone to save. You can always try, thoIugh, if you want to. Personally, I would replace the plant.

I don't have any suggestions about the gash. It looks like mechanical damage, as if the plant were dropped or hit by something. If the plant was shipped to you, the damage could have occurred during packing or shipping, and is only showing up now because the tissues have been softened by the rot and fungus.

I regret being the bearer of bad news. :(

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:( Doesn't sound, or look to good at all. But, to give it one last chance, take it out of that pot, put it in nice cactus mix soil, cut off the rotted bits ( use a good sharp knife) and leave it alone for awhile. Don't know if it will help, but worth a shot, it's a cute plant. Don't blame you for wanting to save it. IF it lives, don't water it hardly at all. Especially over top of the plant. The leaves can't handle that. Good Luck. :)

jayla
Newly Registered

So sad to hear! But I guess it's all part of the gardening experience. :| You lose some and learn. From what I've read about these plants it seems most people go through several before they figure out what the plant needs, so I'm not going to be too hard on myself.

I may take both of your advices: buy a new plant and try again (they are so cute and strange looking, I admit I'm totally smitten) and when I go to the store and pick out my new friend, get some cactus soil and see if the other can be saved.

Either way, I learn something!

Thank you so much for your feedback! I am new to succulents and it's comforting to know such good advice from people in the know can be found so readily. :P

Thanks again!

jayla

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:D jayla, All you can do it try with the one that looks like it's on it's way out........You never know. Hope you find another. This garden site is so friendly and everyone is so helpful. I have learned so much here, and so much more, to learn all the time. But no one ever makes you feel like you never should have asked, they are all so nice. :D Good Luck with your old, and new plants. Let us know what happens with the old one OK?????

jayla
Newly Registered

Thanks, Green Mantis! As a newbie to succulents, it is really comforting to find a place where you can get good, expert advice and quickly too. The internet is awesome!

If the little guy makes it, I will let you all know!

Jayla

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”