babiebee33

Moon Cactus

Hibotan, Moon Cactus....any information for a thiriving cacti.

swimmer
Newly Registered

Never owned one but here's a piccy:

[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2102/2448096090_9d5e67decd.jpg[/img]

Looks preeeeeeeetty :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:?: Would love to know more about these as well. My SON is now interested in getting a couple of cactus. He was given one of these, and it flowered for him. The ex-owner had never had it flower before, he felt bad so gave it back to her. Now I'd like to get him a couple, but would like to know what he did RIGHT??? Thanks in advance. :)

FistulinaHepatica

This is my Moon Cactus "Ernie".

[img]https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/blauwefox/Fungi%20et%20plantae/Ernie_Gymnocalyciummihanovichii.jpg[/img]

They (the fully red/orange ones) lack chlorophyll, thus have to be grafted onto a stock cactus in order to survive. Supposedly, all Moonies came originally from the two mutants germinated, then grafted, by Mr Hibotan in the 40's (IIRC) amongst the thousands of Gymnocalecium seeds he sown.

They also lack sun protection pigments, so don't put it in full/direct sunlight, or they get badly sunburnt.

I'm planning to graft some of the pups once I've got suitable host cacti.

*Ernie* was rescued from Canadian Tire a month ago - he was nearly thrown away into the bin by the staff (rare cactus being thrown away!!! Aaaah!!! The thought!!!) as he had *jumped out of his pot* and the rootball was pretty rotten.

He's pretty happy now, sitting with some aloes and african violets, chilling out in shaded light.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:flower: So happy to get all the info on 'Ernie' , thank you. :D So glad to hear I am not the only one that looks in the plant garbage. :o: I did find a very sad looking hosta last year at Home Depot, paid one penny for it, :roll: Because they had to charge me something. Gave it to a friend and she got it to flower :) So yes, it does pay to look in their garbage boxes, lol. Then got some pieces of multi coloured pothos cuttings, that had been trimned off the main plants. That were being swept up , ready to go in the garbage. The lady that worked there gave me some. I put them in a jam jar, for about a month, and then planted them. They are doing great :wink: Soooooooooooooooo much fun. :lol:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I just am curious as to what colours these come in :?: I have found 2 different shades of yellow, one red, one pink, and today found a purple :!: That was exciting, I bought our son a yellow one earlier, then a purple one today, since we've never seen purple before. Does anyone else, know what other colours they might come in. :?:

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”