tinypixiexoxo

Agave? Aloe?

I love this succulent my grandmother just gave me! Only, I cannot figure out what it is because I cannot find anything similar looking on the internet. Clearly, I no nothing about whatever this happens to be!

Both tips and an identity would be highly appreciated!!

[img]https://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx173/tinypixiexoxo/agave017.jpg[/img]

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Looks like some kind of Aloe, but someone with more experience needs to come on. Nice plant though. :)

JB Goode

I have similar plants and all are aloes. As far as a scientific name, it's hard to tell. The leaves seem blue but could be green. It depends upon the shading when you took the picture. There's many aloes that look like that shape wise, so I won't offer a scientific name. I'll leave that to the other experts.
As far as care and how to deal with it--all aloes and cacti can withstand drier soil as opposed to other plants that need to be kept damp. Some say that not giving an aloe plant water constantly is being abusive but actually that's the way to deal with them. I learned that the hard way. A person here named Kisal greatly helped me. Too much water makes for soggy leaves which will die.
To know when soil is totally dry--get a wooden stick about 1/2 the size of a pencil even thinner is better. Put the stick in the pot and when you take it out, if the stick looks damp and has a tiny bit of soil on it, that means that the soil is still damp, so no water should be added. If the stick is totally dry and nothing is on it, the soil is dry. Try to get a light colored wooden stick. There's ways to water it but I use the method that Kisal taught me. Stick the plant in water as high as the rim of the pot and watch it get wet and bubbles start to pop on surface. That means that all of the soil is saturated. I'm only telling you my method. There's many ways to do it though.
PS--fantastic looking plant.

tinypixiexoxo

JB Goode wrote:I have similar plants and all are aloes. As far as a scientific name, it's hard to tell. The leaves seem blue but could be green. It depends upon the shading when you took the picture. There's many aloes that look like that shape wise, so I won't offer a scientific name. I'll leave that to the other experts.
As far as care and how to deal with it--all aloes and cacti can withstand drier soil as opposed to other plants that need to be kept damp. Some say that not giving an aloe plant water constantly is being abusive but actually that's the way to deal with them. I learned that the hard way. A person here named Kisal greatly helped me. Too much water makes for soggy leaves which will die.
To know when soil is totally dry--get a wooden stick about 1/2 the size of a pencil even thinner is better. Put the stick in the pot and when you take it out, if the stick looks damp and has a tiny bit of soil on it, that means that the soil is still damp, so no water should be added. If the stick is totally dry and nothing is on it, the soil is dry. Try to get a light colored wooden stick. There's ways to water it but I use the method that Kisal taught me. Stick the plant in water as high as the rim of the pot and watch it get wet and bubbles start to pop on surface. That means that all of the soil is saturated. I'm only telling you my method. There's many ways to do it though.
PS--fantastic looking plant.
Thank you for passing this on to me- I found the perfect tool, some "ka-bab" sticks that are very light brown wood.. They dry out quick too.

The reason why I was tentative with aloe was because it is growing in a claw like fashion, the leaves curl back in toward the center. I could not find this in any other aloe (I was also told to look up aloe virens?) The leaves are soo thick that I was almost thinking cactus!! The spikes are almost random on each leaf save for the consistent edge spikes.. The other aloes that are similar have much thinner, elongated leaves more typical of aloe..

About the coloring, It looks very blue with like a dust ontop, The light is failing so I can't take an effective picture (and non-natural light makes it look greener than it is in natural light. I so need a better digital camera to take closeups!

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

It has a similar habit of Aloe reitzii ... could that be your plant perhaps? Just an idea since it still seems that you don't have an I.D. for it. Hope this helps a bit :)

tinypixiexoxo

BewilderedGreenyO.o wrote:It has a similar habit of Aloe reitzii ... could that be your plant perhaps? Just an idea since it still seems that you don't have an I.D. for it. Hope this helps a bit :)
That totally solves it. For me at least. Thank you!!!!! Aloe reitzii.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:wink: That Kabob idea sounds really good to me. You could do that with virtually any plant. Good Idea!!! :D

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”