Magenta
Newly Registered

Yellow holiday Cactus

[color=darkblue][/color]
I just came back from a trip down in Tampa to visit my grandmother, She has every color in holiday cactus. Shes been growing them for over 20 years, and they are Huge. She just gave me a yellow holiday cactus and I have no idea if its a easter, Thanksgiving or christmas Cactus. I have looked around and never even seen a picture of a yellow cactus in bloom. This one is really big and she said she thinks she started to grow this one over 15 years ago. She just pots them every year and gives them away to friends and family. Shes dying and trying to hand them out to the family that will keep them beautiful as she did. I bet this Yellow Holiday cactus is Beautiful when it blooms. Can't wait to see what season it is. She has over 50 Holiday Cactus and I go back down this weekend to get one of each color. Very sad I only had room for one on this trip. I'm going to follow how to care for them very closely and any tips is greatly appreciated. Grandma says every time they bloom its her smiling down at me. They were a huge part of her life. And Its a must I keep them as beautiful as she did and alive. "lol" :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Sorry to hear your gramma is dying, but sounds like she is a wonderful Lady. Anybody that loves plants that much, has to be! :) Wish you were closer, and we weren't in two different countries, or I would ask you for a cutting of a yellow christmas cactus. I bet they are so pretty. KISAL on here has christmas cactus that she does very well with, hopefully she will come on, or you will find her post on cactus and look up a lot of things you need to know. Good Luck with them. They will be such a lovely reminder of what sounds like a great lady. :)
Last edited by Green Mantis on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

angelaaloisio

I haven't seen any yellow myself, but then I've onlly started collecting them this last holiday season.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I have never seen one either, but sure would like to own one. Bet they are really pretty. :)

susieqq
Newly Registered

I have a Christmas Cacti that is yellow or cream, the end of flower tip is brght pink. Bloom time for mine is right before Christmas and is reblooming now but is a smaller flush. It is beautiful in bloom. You will enjoy it. Very different.

Susieqq

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Well I decided to try e-bay to order some Christmas cactus cuttings, I hope they are alive when I get them. But I'd like to keep them alive, How do I grow the cuttings??? There is a Yellow in there :) I am HOPING againgst hope it really is, and that I can get it to grow, ANY ideas on how???? Thanks in advance. :)

susieqq
Newly Registered

I have not tried Christmas Cacti cuttings but I'm sure you let heal for 5-7 days then place cut end into soil. (not very far in, standing) I'm doing this with rick rack cuttings that were given to me. They are in dirt now and very much still alive. I water once a week when dry. Let me know how you do. Susieqq

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Holiday cactus cuttings don't need to callus off before planting. Just put the bottom ends of the cuttings about 3/4" to 1" deep into a good cactus mix, and place them out of direct sunlight. This time of year, they should root quickly. Moisten the soil before you plant them, then let them get fairly dry before you water again. If they begin to look a bit wrinkly or wilty, they need water. They're easy and fun. And very pretty. :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:D Thanks Kisal, I am really hoping I can get the yellow one at least to live :roll: I have never tried one from a cutting, and don't have any Christmas cactus at all right now, as they had a horrible selection this past year, in the stores. So am REALLY hoping on these, I can't remember the other colours, I was so excited about the yellow :oops: Hope there really is a yellow in there. :roll:

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”