Kisal
Mod Emeritus

My holiday cacti are getting ready to bloom again! :)

Since about mid January, I've had them in an unheated bedroom, where they don't get exposed to any artificial light. I'll take some pics after more of the buds open. I just love these plants! :D

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:) You really must have the right set-up for them. They seem to do so well for you. Can't wait to see pictures.

pompuplover

Hi, I am excied to see some one from Oregon on here!! I have a question though! I have about 7 or eight holiday cactus and I cant get them to bloom! They are doing great as far as folige but the darn things wont bloom! I have then in my bathroon window, do you think that may be the problem?
Thanks,
Lisa

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Blooms can be achieved through manipulation of either temperature or day length. I get the best results when I do both.

I put my plants outdoors on the patio on September 1st. I place them right up against the wall of my house, in a protected corner, out of the sun and wind. I leave them there, but I carefully watch the temperatures, especially at night, and bring the plants indoors if it gets too cold for them. (That rarely happens at that time of year where I live in the Valley.)

When the temperatures finally do drop to the point where I have to bring the plants in, I place them in an unheated south bedroom window, but not right up close to the glass. I rarely go into that room, so the lighting on the plants is mainly just the natural daylight that comes through the window. If the weather is nice enough, I'll open both of the windows in that room, keeping the door closed.

I have a friend who just leaves her holiday cactus in her large east window. She kinda laughs at me for the effort I make with mine, but what she apparently hasn't realized is that she never uses that room much, so the plant gets little exposure to artificial light after sundown, and she doesn't have a heater in her apartment at all. She just uses a space heater near wherever she happens to be at the moment. The only difference is that my holiday cacti bloom twice a year, while hers only blooms in the spring. Mine bloom first around mid November and again around late March, because by using that unheated south bedroom, I'm able to duplicate the light and temperature requirements that occur during the first few weeks in September.

The next person who visits me is going to have to take photos of my cacti. They're in full, gorgeous bloom. Unfortunately, I have a broken hand and can't operate my camera. :>

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”