PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have an aloe almost the size of your 1st pic. Mine is outdoors in the ground though. And it is sending up that flower stalk too.

Ergolad
Newly Registered

Re: Overgrown Aloe

Simply Googling for a solution to my overgrown aloe, I stumble across this post. I was surprisingly moved. Not to mention, informed and reassured that my special plant could stand some transplanting and trimming. Thanks for sharing. And I hope you keep updating about the progress of your plant.

imafan26
Mod

I don't have aloe in a pot but I did move my clump because it was hard to weed around it. I have had to thin it a couple of times. They can get pretty big and heavy. I pull out the off sets and some of the bigger ones. I keep a minimum of three but usually there are more than that.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I have a few different species of aloe, yet none of mine are as big as yours. I was wondering if you could tell me the name of the largest aloe. I thought it was Barbadensis, but I have one of those, and it's nowhere near as big as yours. Your's is a s big as the leaves I see in the Supermarket. I've included a picture of my two "normal" aloes. They are basically the same, except one grows bigger than the other. Where can I find one that gets as big as yours, and what's the species name? Thanks:

baileysup
Green Thumb

I meant variety name, not species name. Just clarifying that.

JDSteinmetz
Newly Registered

Thank you for this post. I too have a very large happy aloe that has gotten to big to move anymore and didn't know what to do with it. Now I am going to try to cut off the top and replant too. (o:

DDMcKenna

I didn't look to see where you lived but is there an option for planting it outdoors?

We have had a battle that has lasted at least fifteen years with these aloe plants that have tried to take over our yard. They started out as two plants, one along the fence on the wests side of the house, and another along the wall of the house on the east side. We gave up on the wall on the east. the aloe have just taken over and killed everything else as they have multiplies and grew up along the side of the house.

The one along the west fence multiplied and my wife got so tired of constantly having to trim them, I think she most of them dug out. But I think the occasion plant still seems to pop up now and then. Here along the coast, it a lot cooler and breezier than you might think. I guess they are pretty salt tolerant. But it sounds like you are trying to deal with a plant as big as ours now.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”