Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Can you take cuttings from a desert Rose? If so How?

I NEED to know if I can take cuttings from my desert rose cactus? If I can how do I go about it???? Thank you in advance.........I REALLY need to know soon. AS my big desert rose got overwatered and went all mushy, :( So now I need to know if the branches I cut off it, before they went mushy, should just be in soil or if they can be saved????? Need some HELP Please. Thanks in advance.

adobo

Yes you can. That is how it is propagated here. I just don't have first hand experience but from my understanding, you can cut off a branch and make it to root on your growing medium.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:( I tried that, with the proper soil mix and root supplement. Didn't work. They all died. :(

Andie
Newly Registered

When taking cutting a from a desert rose/adenium obesum the cuttings will root better if they are left for a couple of days to cure the wound. It will form a callous and then it will be ready to plant.

imafan26
Mod

What Andie said is true of most succulents. BTW desert rose is not a cactus. All cacti are succulents, but not all succulents are cacti.

Adenium obesum is in the dogbane family , Apocynaceae, which means it has milky sap. It is a closer relative of plumeria.

If you have another desert rose, and want to make cutting. Cut a healthy branch and make sure the end dries and calouses off. You can stick it in your potting soil and the pot you are going to leave it in. I am in the habit of rooting everything in perlite first before planting out. If you do propagate from a cutting, it may not form the "belly" that you see on a seed grown plant. It is also relatively easy to graft a desert rose onto another one. If you have a flower you particularly like, grafting is the way to go since, you never know what the flower will look like from seeds.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”