lily51
Greener Thumb

A way to propagate lots of chicks/hens?

I have grown chicks and hens on and off for years,finding the propagation extremely easy with the chicks. Someone said that each little spike will also grow into a plant. Is there a method for this, any growth hormone needed, protection against disease, etc?
They said to just take each "point' and set in a tray with soil.
Has anyone done this and have any advice?
Thanks.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The name Hen and Chicks is used for many rosette-forming succulent plants, one of which is Sempervivum. I have not propagated them using leaves, but I have read that it can be done with Sempervivum. I have not seen any reference to leaf cuttings being used to propagate other plants known as Hen and Chicks, such as Echeveria. I have also read that leaf propagation isn't a very dependable method of propagating Sempervivum, and that even when it's successful, it is quite slow. That's the problem with growing them from seeds, too. It's a slow process, especially since they produce offsets so readily.

If you have the time, it might be an interesting experiment to try. If I were going to attempt this, I would separate the leaves, allow them to callus, then plant the callused ends shallowly in standard cactus mix. (Or, you might prefer to use something like sand or very fine gravel.) Moisten the growing medium before you plant the leaves, but don't water afterward for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't cover them with anything, because they rot easily if too damp.

If you do try it, I'd love to hear about your results, even if the experiment fails. :)

Blue Fox

The most reliable method of growing more Sempervivum is through detaching the chicks, and some definitely produce more than others. I find the cobweb types (Sempervivum arachnoideum) produce the most, but they tend to be smaller as adults.

Apparently, if you cut the stolon (the stem holding the chick onto the adult) close to the chick, it will continue to produce more chicks. I haven't tried this, but have it on good authority that it will work.

Sometimes you can also split each hen in half or even into quarters which will each heal and continue to produce chicks, so if you want lots in a hurry, this might work. Be prepared to lose lots though, as this could have a steep learning curve.

Most Echeveria can be propagated by leaf cuttings, but as Kisal says, it's a long process. I haven't tried Sempervivum from leaf cuttings, but I have had great success with growing them from seed. Of course, they will all be different from seed as there is such a lot of genetic variation, but that might be a good thing!

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”