freekflier
Newly Registered

Help save an unruly Aloe!

I moved into an office and the girls here were going to throw this unruly plant away. I read what I could on your site, but still can't seem to get a handle on how this fella fits into the picture. No pups. Alive, for the time being, but really hesitant to cut the stem and attempt to replant it... I hear they take a LONG time to root. It is extremely off-balance and just replanting the root in a bigger pot wouldn't work. Any ideas, suggestions? Help me save this struggling survivor!

[img]https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/freekflier/aloe2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd411/freekflier/aloe1.jpg[/img]

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Does look kind of sad alright! But in another way, it's doing great, if that makes any sense?---I wonder if you could transplant it, almost up to the bottom of the leaves? I'm sure someone will come on that knows more than I do and say, I hope? But I think that's what I would do with it. Then it would stand straight, and you wouldn't have to cut anything.-----------Anybody else out there with suggestions??????

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Actually, the plant will grow new roots within a couple of months. Personally, I would keep it going through the winter, and re-root it after active growth begins again in the spring.

Cut the stem so there is about 5 inches left attached to the leafy top growth. Lay that aside in a warm, dry place, out of direct sunlight. Leave it there until the cut end calluses over (becomes dry and hard). That can take anywhere from 48 hours to 2 weeks, depending on the environment.

Then, bury the stem end up to the leaves in a good potting mix designed for cacti and succulents. Water it, then leave it alone for about 3 weeks or a month. Let the soil become dry. If the leaves begin to show signs of wrinkling, that would be time to water it again. Otherwise, just leave it in bright, indirect light and let it do its thing. Keep it out of direct sunlight, because that will make the leaves lose moisture too fast. Remember there are no roots to absorb water, so there is no point to pouring water on the soil. That will only cause problems as the plant tries to grow new roots.

Leave the roots in the old pot, place it in bright indirect light, and in time, it may sprout a new top for you. Then, you'll have two aloes! :) As with the part you're trying to root, you don't want to give the old roots too much water. There are no leaves to help use the water absorbed by the roots, so too much water will just cause the roots to rot.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:roll: I knew someone would come on with WAY better suggestions! Sounds like a win win situation, you get 2 plants out of one! Thanks for explaining it so well kisal!---Don't you just have to love this site! :D

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”